Treasury Designation Of Iranian Nuclear Entities
Office of the Spokesman
August 12, 2008
Treasury Designation of Iranian Entities for Proliferation Activities
Today, the Department of the Treasury designated under Executive Order 13382 five Iranian entities of proliferation concern. Today's designations, listed below, follow last week's action by the European Union to tighten its sanctions against Iran for defying the international community's calls to abandon its nuclear program.
* The Nuclear Research Center for Agriculture and Medicine (a/k/a Karaj Nuclear Research Center; part of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) research division)
* The Esfahan Nuclear Fuel Research and Production Center (part of AEOI nuclear procurement company; involved in enrichment-related activities)
* Jabbar Ibn Hayan (AEOI laboratory involved in fuel-cycle activities)
* Safety Equipment Procurement Company (Aerospace Industry Organization (AIO) front company involved in Iran's ballistic missile program)
* Joza Industrial Company (AIO front company involved in Iran's ballistic missile program)
These designations will add to our continuing actions to prevent Iranian entities of proliferation concern from accessing financial and commercial markets that could aid Iranian efforts to develop nuclear weapons and the missiles capable of delivering nuclear warheads. As a result of our actions today, all property and interests in property of the designated persons that are in the U.S., that hereafter come within the U.S., or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of U.S. persons, are blocked and may not be transferred or otherwise dealt in.