World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Call For Release Of Children In Maoist Cantonments

Nepal: UN Official Calls For Immediate Release Of Children In Maoist Cantonments

New York, Aug 25 2008 5:10PM

A senior United Nations official today called on Nepal’s authorities and the country’s Maoist forces to immediately free nearly 3,000 children who have still not been formally released from the Maoist cantonments, despite the end of the armed conflict in the Asian nation.

Radhika Coomaraswamy, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, issued a statement stressing that the comprehensive peace agreement which ended Nepal’s conflict called for the immediate release of the children once they entered the cantonments.

Yet although many children have been released informally, there has been no progress in securing their formal discharge, Ms. Coomaraswamy said.

Last year the UN Mission in Nepal and the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) identified that there were 2,973 under-age members of the Maoist forces as of May 2006.

“<"http://www.unmin.org.np/">UNMIN child protection advisers, <"http://www.unicef.org/">UNICEF and its partners should have access to these children to make sure that they receive their rights to recovery and reintegration,” the Special Representative said.

Ms. Coomaraswamy added that the recent successful staging of national elections in Nepal indicates that the country is “entering a hopeful phase for peace and prosperity. However, the promise of peace has not come to fruition for these children, whose lives have been adversely affected by the conflict.”

She said a key element of the peace is to ensure children associated with armed groups can share in the dividends and receive support for their reintegration into regular society.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO: