World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Dead After Being Forced Overboard In Gulf Of Aden

At Least 20 People Dead After Being Forced Overboard In Gulf Of Aden – UN Agency

New York, Dec 2 2008 10:10AM

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reported today that at least 20 people drowned off the coast of Yemen on Monday and two others were reported missing after smugglers forced them overboard into the deep waters of the Gulf of Aden during a journey from the Horn of Africa.

“The boat was reportedly carrying around 115 passengers, mostly Ethiopians,” UNHCR spokesperson Ron Redmond told reporters in Geneva.

The agency’s staff in southern Yemen said 20 bodies were recovered, two people were missing and the remaining 93 passengers made it to shore after being forced overboard near a village outside the town of Ahwar, around 220 kilometres east of the Yemeni port city of Aden.

Survivors were transferred to the UNHCR-run reception centre in Ahwar, where they received first aid, food and water and other assistance.

Those that made it to shore said a second boat carrying 55 passengers arrived about the same time yesterday, but there were no casualties reported on that vessel, said Mr. Redmond.

According to UNHCR, more than 43,500 people have arrived in Yemen in 850 smuggling boats so far this year after making the dangerous voyage across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia, most of them Somali.

At least 380 people have died and some 360 are missing so far this year. In 2007, some 29,500 people made the voyage to Yemen and the overall number of dead and missing reached 1,400, the agency noted.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC