World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


KIRIBATI: Newspaper closedown a blow for news choices

KIRIBATI: Newspaper closedown a blow for news choices

PFF Rarotonga, COOK ISLANDS-- News that the Kiribati newspaper at the centre of a Police investigation has stopped printing means fewer ways for people there to stay informed says media watchdog the Pacific Freedom Forum, PFF.

Auckland-based Kiribati Independent publisher and editor Taberannang Korauaba will retain the online edition of the Independent but has stopped print circulation in Kiribati while Police follow up on complaints linking to the newspaper's registration status.

"The loss of their weekly news in print is a blow for readers in Kiribati who don’t have online access, and their leaders need to tell them why a government which has been sitting on media paperwork since last year, has suddenly been able to act so quickly to lay a complaint linked to that paperwork ," says PFF co chair Titi Gabi of PNG.
"
Whose interest is being served here? Without a free media to give them answers, the public lose their right to know. "

"PFF reiterates concern over any political motivations behind the processing delays for the registration paperwork and hope the Police will help to quickly and fairly resolve the issue."

PFF co chair Monica Miller says given the current Police complaints stem from a lack of progress on a bureaucratic issue, Kiribati's media-savvy President should take the lead.

"Kiribati gave the Pacific the Biketawa principles on good governance, and a President who has taken the message to the world on sinking islands and climate change," she says. "As someone who uses media powerfully to talk about his people, we urge President Tong to uphold Biketawa's promise and give Kiribati the same free media he enjoys
globally."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 


21 Egyptians Beheaded

Egyptian jets bombed Islamic State targets in Libya on Monday, a day after the group there released a video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians, drawing Cairo directly into the conflict across its border. More>>

Protests In Bil’in Honoring Slain US Citizens

Protesters at demonstration in Bil’in honoring slain US citizens face attacks and arrests by Israeli forces. More>>

Resolution Targeting Sources Of Financing For ISIL

Ambassadors representing two countries under attack from ISIL, Bashar Ja’afari (right) of Syria, and Mohamed Ali Alhakim of Iraq, speak to journalists following the adoption of a Security Council resolution targeting sources of financing for ... More>>

ALSO:

  • U.S. Department of State - Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force
  • "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    ISM Honours Kayla Mueller

    Abdullah Abu Rahma, coordinator of the popular committee in the village of Bil’in where Kayla joined the protests, told ISM: “Kayla came to Palestine to stand in solidarity with us. She marched with us and faced the military that occupies our ... More>>


    US Measles Outbreak: UN Urges Parents Vaccinate Children

    3 February 2015 – Parents in the United States must vaccinate their children against measles in order to maintain the high levels of immunity necessary in keeping outbreaks of the aggressively contagious virus small and contained, the United Nations World ... More>>

    Ebola: Large-Scale Vaccine Trials Under Way In Liberia

    WHO welcomed the donation by the Public Health Agency of Canada of 800 vials of one of the leading candidate Ebola vaccines, rVSV-ZEBOV. Photo: WHO/M. Missioneiro (file) More>>

    Security Council Denounce Murder Of Jordanian Pilot

    3 February 2015 – For the second time in as many days, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have jointly condemned the brutal killing of a civilian by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) – this time deploring ... More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news