World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Nigeria: Assisting Thousands Of People Displaced

ICRC News Release
17 July 2012

Nigeria: Assisting Thousands Of People Displaced By Inter-Community Violence

Geneva/Abuja (ICRC) – The armed violence and clashes that took place on 7 and 8 July between the mainly livestock-herding Fulani and the farming Berom communities in Riyom and Barkin Ladi near Jos (Plateau state) caused dozens of casualties and forced more than 5,500 people to flee their homes. Over 25 villages were affected. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), in cooperation with the Nigerian Red Cross Society, is providing essential assistance to the displaced people, who had to take shelter with host families and in schools and community halls.

"People left their homes and ran to safety with only the clothes they were wearing. They need everything to survive in this kind of situation," said Julia Unger, the head of the ICRC's office in Jos. "They have urgent needs in terms of food, water and basic household items." A curfew has been imposed in the affected areas to quell any further violence, and the security situation remains unpredictable.

So far, the ICRC has delivered one month's food rations (including rice, beans and cooking oil) along with blankets, buckets, soap and other essential items to over 2,800 displaced people. It has also installed 10 temporary sanitary facilities in places where the displaced are hosted, and it is in the process of installing two hand pumps to improve their access to water. This operation will continue over the next few days until all displaced people from both communities receive the aid they urgently need.

Since the ICRC opened its new office in Jos in February, this is the fourth time that it has taken action together with Nigerian Red Cross to assist people affected by inter-community violence in Plateau state, which has a history of such clashes.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 


21 Egyptians Beheaded

Egyptian jets bombed Islamic State targets in Libya on Monday, a day after the group there released a video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians, drawing Cairo directly into the conflict across its border. More>>

Protests In Bil’in Honoring Slain US Citizens

Protesters at demonstration in Bil’in honoring slain US citizens face attacks and arrests by Israeli forces. More>>

Resolution Targeting Sources Of Financing For ISIL

Ambassadors representing two countries under attack from ISIL, Bashar Ja’afari (right) of Syria, and Mohamed Ali Alhakim of Iraq, speak to journalists following the adoption of a Security Council resolution targeting sources of financing for ... More>>

ALSO:

  • U.S. Department of State - Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force
  • "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    ISM Honours Kayla Mueller

    Abdullah Abu Rahma, coordinator of the popular committee in the village of Bil’in where Kayla joined the protests, told ISM: “Kayla came to Palestine to stand in solidarity with us. She marched with us and faced the military that occupies our ... More>>


    US Measles Outbreak: UN Urges Parents Vaccinate Children

    3 February 2015 – Parents in the United States must vaccinate their children against measles in order to maintain the high levels of immunity necessary in keeping outbreaks of the aggressively contagious virus small and contained, the United Nations World ... More>>

    Ebola: Large-Scale Vaccine Trials Under Way In Liberia

    WHO welcomed the donation by the Public Health Agency of Canada of 800 vials of one of the leading candidate Ebola vaccines, rVSV-ZEBOV. Photo: WHO/M. Missioneiro (file) More>>

    Security Council Denounce Murder Of Jordanian Pilot

    3 February 2015 – For the second time in as many days, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have jointly condemned the brutal killing of a civilian by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) – this time deploring ... More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news