World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Winter Needs of Growing Number of Syrian Refugees

UN And Lebanon Review Winter Needs of Growing Number of Syrian Refugees

New York, Oct 8 2012 12:10PM
With rising numbers of Syrian refugees pouring into Lebanon as winter approaches, a senior United Nations official today reviewed with the country’s premier the need for international financial aid and humanitarian arrangements to tackle the influx.

“The coordination between the government, the United Nations and non-governmental organizations in addressing the needs of the refugees is close,” the UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon, Derek Plumbly, <"">told reporters after his meeting with Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, the Lebanese capital.

More than 300,000 refugees have so far fled to neighbouring countries to escape the violence in Syria, where over 18,000 people, mostly civilians, have died since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad erupted 19 months ago.

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) announced last week that it was rolling out a winterization programme, along with its partners in Lebanon, to provide refugees and vulnerable Lebanese with heating fuel, mattresses, blankets and clothes as well as refurbished accommodation in preparation for the colder months.

But, the refugee agency warned, the scattered nature of the refugee population in Lebanon is posing challenges in providing assistance in remote areas.

Mr. Plumbly noted that the United Nations recently launched an updated financial appeal for nearly $488 million to assist the rapidly increasing numbers of Syrian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq and Turkey. An earlier appeal in March projected an estimated 100,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2012 – but the latest UNHCR estimates project that the number could now reach 700,000.

“We are of course deeply concerned at the extent of the current violence in Syria,” the Special Coordinator said. “Lebanon is honouring its humanitarian obligations and winning great credit thereby. The United Nations has been clear in its condemnation of the recurrent violations of the country’s borders.”

He added, “We have been equally clear in our support for the efforts of the President, the Prime Minister and the country’s leaders collectively to distance Lebanon from the worst effects of the crisis. Against the backdrop of recent events I would like to take this opportunity to underline again the need for all concerned to commit to this and to give absolute priority to keeping Lebanon safe.”

The ongoing violence in neighbouring Syria has fuelled sectarian tensions across Lebanon and raised concerns that the country could plunge back into the internecine violence it endured during its 15 year civil war, which ended in 1990.

The last weeks of August witnessed fighting between supporters and opponents of the Syrian Government in Beirut, while tensions also increased in other parts of the country, such as the northern city of Tripoli. Moreover, a series of kidnappings also contributed to escalation in tensions.

Mr. Plumbly and Mr. Mikati also welcomed the calm that has held along the so-called Blue Line separating Israel and Lebanon, following Israel’s month-long war with the Lebanese Hizbollah group in the 2006.
Oct 8 2012 12:10PM

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news