World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


No Evidence of Human-to-Human Transfer of New Virus

No Evidence of Human-to-Human Transfer of New Virus, Says UN Health Agency

New York, Oct 10 2012 3:10PM The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) said today there was “no evidence” of human-to-human transmission of a new virus that can cause acute respiratory infection and renal failure, and whose discovery in a second patient last month spurred the agency to issue a global alert.

“No new cases of infection with the ‘novel coronavirus’ have been reported since 22 September 2012,” WHO said in a news release, citing the date health officials in the United Kingdom confirmed the virus had infected a 49-year-old Qatari man, who had recently entered Saudi Arabia, where a 60-year-old man with the same virus died earlier this year.

“So far, after careful follow-up of close contacts of the two confirmed cases, and a heightened state of global surveillance, there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus,” WHO added.

The Geneva-based agency issued the alert a day after confirmation of the virus in the Qatari man, who had presented symptoms on 3 September – just days after visiting Saudi Arabia. He entered an intensive care unit in the Qatari capital, Doha, on 7 September, and was flown by air ambulance four days later to the UK, where the Health Protection Agency (HPA) conducted laboratory testing and confirmed the presence of the novel coronavirus, said WHO.

According to WHO, the Governments of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UK are continuing their work to “gain a better understanding of the disease and the likely source of infection.”

WHO is supporting those national authorities in their respective investigations, and has sent experts to Saudi Arabia and Qatar as part of an international team.

“These and future epidemiological and scientific studies will lead to a better understanding of the novel coronavirus,” WHO said.

The WHO alert called on health workers worldwide to report patients with acute respiratory infection. The agency is continuing to work with the ministries of health and other international partners to “coordinate actions for timely detection, rapid diagnosis and case management of infection caused by the novel coronavirus, should the need arise.”

WHO said the speed with which the international public health community discovered the cases of novel coronavirus, and in turn notified WHO under the International Health Regulations (2005), “demonstrates the value of having the appropriate systems and processes in place for early detection, risk assessment and dissemination of information in order to implement appropriate response.”
Oct 10 2012 3:10PM

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news