World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Latest Violence in Myanmar’s Rakhine State

UN Refugee Agency Urges Calm Amid Latest Violence in Myanmar’s Rakhine State

New York, Nov 2 2012 12:10PM The United Nations refugee agency has called for an immediate return to calm in western Myanmar’s Rakhine state, where ongoing inter-communal violence has uprooted more than 35,000 people.

The Myanmar authorities have granted permission for humanitarian teams to assess the situation and needs in areas affected by unrest that started nearly two weeks ago, according to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), which noted that food and shelter are urgently needed for the displaced.

In the last two days, UNHCR staff members have conducted inter-agency visits to several villages in the Myebon, Mrauk-U and Minbya townships, to the east and north-east of Rakhine’s state capital, Sittwe.

“The police and army were present in all the villages visited. Our staff spoke to displaced people who shared their fears of being attacked again if the troops leave,” UNHCR’s spokesperson, Adrian Edwards, <"">told a news briefing in Geneva.

Medical staff in the assessment teams were able to treat many of the wounded during the visits, including people suffering from burns, gunshot and arrow injuries, he added. There were also a number of new mothers – 14 in two villages – who said their labour had been induced by the violence.

A few families said children had been left behind when they fled. Among the children who made it to safety – many were malnourished, Mr. Edwards noted.

“Most of the displaced people UNHCR staff met said they needed food and shelter material,” he said. “Aid agencies including UNHCR have sent food and plastic sheets but there are still many needs to be met.”

As part of the inter-agency response to the situation in Rakhine state, UNHCR is sending additional plastic sheets, mosquito nets and blankets to areas, including Myebon, Kyauk Taw, Rathedaung and Pauk Taw. Mr. Edwards emphasized that all assistance is being provided on an impartial basis regardless of background or ethnic origin.

The latest wave of unrest brings to 110,000 the total number of people displaced by inter-communal violence in Rakhine state since June this year.
Nov 2 2012 12:10PM

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news