World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Chief Welcomes Ceasefire between Israel and Hamas

UN Chief Welcomes Ceasefire between Israel and Hamas

New York, Nov 21 2012 - United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the ceasefire announced today after a week of devastating violence in southern Israel and Gaza, and stressed that it is imperative that both sides stick to it.

"I commend the parties for stepping back from the brink," Mr. Ban said, as he briefed the Security Council via video-link from Tel Aviv. "Our focus now must be on ensuring the ceasefire holds and that all those in need in Gaza - and there are many - receive the humanitarian assistance that they need."

Mr. Ban noted that it is a "huge relief" for the people of Gaza and Israel and for the international community that the violence is stopping.

"But we are all aware of the risk," he added. "And we are all aware that there are many details that must be solidified for a broad, durable ceasefire to take firm hold over the longer term. It is imperative that both sides stick to the ceasefire in order to allow these underlying issues to be addressed in a sustainable fashion."

The ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas, which controls Gaza, was announced today in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, just over a week after the latest wave of violence - which includes rocket attacks against Israel from Gaza, and Israeli airstrikes on Gaza - began.

The violence claimed the lives of 139 Palestinians, more than 70 of them civilians, and wounded more than 900, according to the UN team in Gaza. It also displaced 10,000 people in the territory, which is home to 1.7 million Palestinians.

Since 14 November, rocket fire has resulted in the death of four Israeli civilians, while 219 are reported injured, most of whom are civilians, said Mr. Ban. One Israeli soldier was killed yesterday, while 16 others have been wounded, one critically.

"My paramount concern throughout has been for the safety and well-being of all civilians, no matter where they are," said the Secretary-General. "Innocent people, including children, have been killed and injured on both sides. Families on both sides were forced to hover in fear as the violence raged around them."

He added that the current crisis underscores that the status quo is unsustainable, and that long-term solutions must be found to the problems of Gaza, and for the Palestinians as a whole.

"A negotiated two-State solution ending a prolonged occupation and ending the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians is more urgent than ever," he said. "Achieving this vision, which has been affirmed by this Council repeatedly is long overdue and paramount to the stability of the region. Only a just and comprehensive peace can bring lasting security to all."

Mr. Ban cancelled a previously-scheduled trip to travel to the Middle East "as a clear signal of the need for international diplomatic mobilization to prevent a further escalation that would put the whole region at risk and to strengthen the commendable efforts led by Egypt to reach a ceasefire."

During his three-day visit that began on Monday, Mr. Ban met with Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, League of Arab States Secretary-General Nabil ElAraby, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, and Jordan's King Abdullah, as well as several other leaders. He also met with United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton while in Jerusalem.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 


21 Egyptians Beheaded

Egyptian jets bombed Islamic State targets in Libya on Monday, a day after the group there released a video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians, drawing Cairo directly into the conflict across its border. More>>

Protests In Bil’in Honoring Slain US Citizens

Protesters at demonstration in Bil’in honoring slain US citizens face attacks and arrests by Israeli forces. More>>

Resolution Targeting Sources Of Financing For ISIL

Ambassadors representing two countries under attack from ISIL, Bashar Ja’afari (right) of Syria, and Mohamed Ali Alhakim of Iraq, speak to journalists following the adoption of a Security Council resolution targeting sources of financing for ... More>>

ALSO:

  • U.S. Department of State - Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force
  • "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    ISM Honours Kayla Mueller

    Abdullah Abu Rahma, coordinator of the popular committee in the village of Bil’in where Kayla joined the protests, told ISM: “Kayla came to Palestine to stand in solidarity with us. She marched with us and faced the military that occupies our ... More>>


    US Measles Outbreak: UN Urges Parents Vaccinate Children

    3 February 2015 – Parents in the United States must vaccinate their children against measles in order to maintain the high levels of immunity necessary in keeping outbreaks of the aggressively contagious virus small and contained, the United Nations World ... More>>

    Ebola: Large-Scale Vaccine Trials Under Way In Liberia

    WHO welcomed the donation by the Public Health Agency of Canada of 800 vials of one of the leading candidate Ebola vaccines, rVSV-ZEBOV. Photo: WHO/M. Missioneiro (file) More>>

    Security Council Denounce Murder Of Jordanian Pilot

    3 February 2015 – For the second time in as many days, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have jointly condemned the brutal killing of a civilian by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) – this time deploring ... More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news