World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Israeli Embassy welcomes ceasefire

Thursday 22 November 2012


Israeli Embassy welcomes ceasefire

The Embassy of Israel in Wellington today welcomed the announced ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israel said it will respect the Egypt- and US-brokered cease-fire, which was achieved with the support of United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and the foreign ministers of France and Germany, but reserves the right to react in self-defense to its violation by the terrorist groups whose actions led to the latest conflict.

Israel expects Hamas to keep its commitment to cease from all hostile activity against Israeli cities, civilians and targets.

Invoking its right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, Israel launched Operation Pillar of Defense in response to the 1,300 rockets unleashed on Israel in the past three years by Hamas and other terrorist organizations within its fold.

Israel’s Ambassador to New Zealand, Shemi Tzur, welcomed news of the ceasefire, while noting that Israel targeted senior terrorists, eliminated thousands rockets and greatly degraded the terrorist infrastructure, it has done its upmost to avoid, as far as possible, injury to civilians.

“Sadly, the world witnessed Hamas' unprovoked and relentless attacks on Israel, which were made with the connivance of Iran, and the double war crime it committed time and again—of targeting Israeli civilians while firing from among its own civilians,” Ambassador Tzur said.

“Israel hopes that this ceasefire will bring peace and quiet to Israelis and Palestinians alike. A secured environment that is so important to restore confidence and trust between the parties. Only this will bring the resumption of peace negotiations with the Palestinians and bring progress in achieving the goal of two states for two peoples living in peace and security side by side.”


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Binoy Kampmark: US Bomb Strikes Hospital In Kunduz

According to US military sources, “there may have been collateral damage” to the medical facility. “This incident is under investigation.” A statement issued by the office of the President Ashraf Ghani said that Army General John Campbell, chief of US-led forces in Afghanistan, apologised. More>>


Binoy Kampmark: The Fall Of Tony Abbott

The question was one of timing. The Coalition had been registering losses in poll after poll. The Abbott style hardly improved after a spill was forced on the party. Despite claiming that he would be ushering in a spring clean, he continued bypassing ministers and MPs... More>>



Pacific.Scoop: Smaller Pacific States Call For Coal Moratorium

PNG Loop: Leaders of the Pacific Smaller Island States have called on all nations – especially the advanced economies in the region – to rise to the challenge of climate change. They want to steer the world on a path where climate change is no longer a threat to earth. More>>


Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news