World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Fund Gives $5.3m to Assist Displaced Persons in Myanmar

UN Fund Gives $5.3 Million to Assist Displaced Persons in Myanmar

New York, Nov 27 2012 - Some 36,000 people who have been displaced by inter-communal violence in Myanmar's Rakhine state will benefit from an additional $5.3 million in assistance provided by the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF), the world body announced today.

The funds will enable five UN agencies and their humanitarian partners to carry out activities in health, nutrition, shelter, water and sanitation, and food.

"Thanks to CERF's immediate funding, humanitarian agencies are able to respond in a decisive manner to provide urgent life-saving aid such as emergency shelter, clean drinking water, food and healthcare," said the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Myanmar, Ashok Nigam.

The north of Rakhine state has been the site of inter-communal violence over recent months. The violence first began in June, with clashes between ethnic Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims, which eventually led the Government to declare a state of emergency there.

That bout of violence reportedly left at least a dozen civilians dead and hundreds of homes destroyed, while internally displacing some 75,000 people. Since then, at least 89 people have been killed and 36,000 displaced in the wake of a renewed upsurge in violence, beginning in late September, which also left more than 5,300 houses and religious buildings destroyed, according to UN estimates.

The World Food Programme (WFP) said $2 million in CERF funds enabled the agency to rapidly step up its operations with emergency food assistance to all 36,000 newly displaced people.

"We were already distributing food at the time of the October needs assessments in Rakhine. Our food stocks were heavily depleted from distributing since the June communal violence," said WFP spokesperson Marcus Prior. "The CERF was used immediately to address the new growing needs."

CERF has now allocated more than $10 million to the humanitarian situation in Rakhine this year, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a <"http://reliefweb.int/report/myanmar/united-nations-humanitarian-fund-gives -additional-53-million-rakhine-emergency">news release.

An initial OCHA response plan had originally sought $32.5 million to provide assistance in Rakhine during the period of July-December 2012. However, the plan was revised by OCHA last week to $67.6 million to assist 115,000 displaced people over the period of July 2012-June 2013. So far, it has received only $27 million.

CERF was created in 2005 to pre-position funding to respond in a timely fashion to humanitarian crises. Globally, the fund has enabled life-saving and immediate help for millions of people in some 87 countries with $2.7 billion in aid. It is funded by voluntary contributions from Member States, non-governmental organizations, regional governments, the private sector and individual donors.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Iraq: Grave Crimes Committed On 'Unimaginable Scale'

Members of an ethnic Yezidi family sleep in the shade in Shekhadi village, Iraq, after fleeing Sinjar. Photo: UNHCR/N. Colt More>>

Lesotho: Concern About Reported Military Takeover In Lesotho

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday about the reported military takeover in the southern African nation of Lesotho, and called on all parties to resolve their differences peacefully. More>>

ALSO:

Ban Ki Moon:Alarmed At Israel's Announced Seizure Of West Bank Land

1 September 2014 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today voiced his alarm at the announcement by Israeli authorities to declare nearly 1,000 acres of land in Bethlehem as so-called “state land.” More>>

Ebola:Response Based On ‘Scientific Evidence, Not On Fear'

Ebola Response Must Be Based on ‘Scientific Evidence, Not on Fear,’ Urge Top UN Officials More>>


UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news