World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Calls For Boost in Humanitarian Support for Afghanistan

UN Relief Official Calls For Boost in Humanitarian Support for Afghanistan

New York, Nov 29 2012 - A senior United Nations official today called on the international community to step up its humanitarian support for Afghanistan to sustain the progress made so far in the country where thousands have suffered through 34 years of conflict and poverty.

"It is clear that the Government is making progress; the candid and professional approach being taken is certainly impressive, but given the scale of the challenge, international funding support will also be key to success," said the Director of Operations of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), John Ging, following a three-day visit to Afghanistan.

"The figures speak for themselves," Mr. Ging added. "More than nine million people in Afghanistan - one third of the population - are food insecure; an average of 165 children under the age of five die every day; and an Afghan woman dies every two hours due to pregnancy-related causes."

In addition, some 450,000 people have been displaced by conflict and natural disasters, and more than 75 per cent of Afghans have been forced from their homes by conflict at least once in their lives, the humanitarian official noted.

According to OCHA, the 2012 consolidated humanitarian appeal for Afghanistan remains less than 50 per cent funded, with a shortfall of $234 million at the end of November - making it one of the worst funded appeals in the world.

"This shortfall translates into the unnecessary loss of so many innocent lives as a result of preventable disease and hunger in the midst of such a large and expensive international military presence," said Mr. Ging. "I sincerely hope that the military transition underway will free up desperately needed funding for humanitarian and development programmes."

During his visit, Mr. Ging met with senior Government officials in Kabul, the capital, where he was briefed on reforms and new programmes underway, such as a Government-led winterization effort targeting 240,000 people with health, food, shelter and household items including fuel.

Mr. Ging also visited a regional hospital in the province of Kandahar, where he spoke to mothers of severely malnourished children receiving therapeutic feeding through the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the UN World Health Organization (WHO), as well as women activists.

"Once again, reality confounds perception in this country," Mr. Ging said. "So many brave Afghans are fighting for human rights and women's rights; all they need is modest support from the international community."

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UK Labour Statement: The Shooting Of MP Jo Cox

Jeremy Corbyn MP, Leader of the Labour Party said: “The whole of the Labour Party and Labour family - and indeed the whole country - will be in shock at the horrific murder of Jo Cox today. Jo had a lifelong record of public service and a deep commitment to humanity." More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Rainbow Colours On MFC In Sympathy For Florida Killings
Wellington’s Michael Fowler Centre will be lit in colours of the rainbow Monday as a gesture of support for the LGBTI victims of the Pulse nightclub attack in Orlando, Florida. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On How Obama’s Supreme Court Choice Says Everything (Bad) About His Presidency

Nothing has epitomised the presidency of Barack Obama quite like his Supreme Court nominees. Time and again, Republican presidents will blithely nominate right wing ideological extremists (Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas) who only sometimes misfire and turn out to be liberals in disguise (David Souter). Yet Obama has consistently skipped over the judicially qualified liberals and gone for a succession of centrists... More>>

ALSO:

Turkey: UN Secretary-General On The Terrorist Bombing In Ankara

The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack in Ankara earlier today. According to the latest reports, the explosion in the Kizilay district killed and wounded dozens of people. More>>

ALSO:

Five Years On: Fukushima And New Zealand

Science Media Centre: It was the worst nuclear event since Chernobyl. In the wake of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, a crippled Japanese nuclear powerplant went into meltdown, and the world watched as emergency workers scrambled to shut down and contain the reactors. More>>

ALSO:

UNICEF: 1 In 3 Syrian Children Has Grown Up Knowing Only Crisis

An estimated 3.7 million Syrian children – 1 in 3 of all Syrian children - have been born since the conflict began five years ago, their lives shaped by violence, fear and displacement, according to a UNICEF report. This figure includes more than 151,000 children born as refugees since 2011. More>>

ALSO:

Franklin Lamb: Syria’s Truce Bodes Well For Salvaging Our Cultural Heritage

The tentative cessation of hostilities in Syria, which came into effect on 2/28/2016, brokered by Washington and Moscow, is only in its second week... It is well documented that there have been daily incidents of artillery shelling, airstrikes and clashes. Yet, for the nearly 12 million displaced civilians, half of Syria’s population, it’s a much welcomed respite. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news