World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Yemeni Authorities Commit To Stop Recruiting Child Soldiers

During UN Envoy's Visit, Yemeni Authorities Commit To Stop Recruiting Child Soldiers

New York, Nov 28 2012 - A visiting United Nations envoy today secured commitments by the authorities in Yemen to end the recruitment and use of children in the country's armed forces.

"I am heartened by the pledge from President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi and others in Government to end the recruitment and use of children by Government forces," said the Secretary-General's Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, Leila Zerrougui, who met with the President and other senior officials as well as civil society members.

"The re-structuring of the security forces envisioned during the transition period offers a unique opportunity to end grave violations against children and to professionalize the security force," Ms. Zerrougui said. "The President's public instruction to all security forces not to recruit children under 18 is a very positive first step."

The restructuring of the country's security and armed forces is one of the elements of the democratic transition process underway in Yemen, following widespread protests last year that led to the resignation of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Four parties in Yemen are listed in the Secretary-General's 'list of shame' for recruitment and use of children: the Yemeni armed forces; Ali Mohsen's First Armoured Division; pro-Government tribal militia; and the Al Houthi armed group.

During her visit, which began on Monday, Ms. Zerrougui also travelled to the Sa'ada governorate, where she met with the leader of the Al Houthi armed group, Abdul Malik Badraldeen Al Houthi.

While in the capital, Sana'a, Ms. Zerrougui met with child victims of conflict who had been recruited by the First Armoured Division and the police.

"Children must go to school, not military camps. I urge the Government to act quickly with United Nations support in separating children from the security forces, and ensuring that they are reintegrated back into civilian life."

Ms. Zerrougui also met children maimed by mines, and warned of the increase in use of explosive remnants in the country. "I am horrified by the widespread use of explosive weapons in populated areas in Yemen, which has increased dramatically this year - by five times - and have a disproportionate impact on children," she said.

The UN Resident Coordinator in Yemen, Ismael Ouldcheikhahmed, reiterated the UN system's readiness to work closely with the Government and other partners to reintegrate children and facilitate their access to education and livelihoods support.

Ms. Zerrougui's office said the Government's commitment paves the way for the development of an action plan to address prevention, separation, and the reintegration of children, in line with Security Council resolution 1612, adopted in 2005. The resolution establishes measures to end grave violations against children through a monitoring and reporting mechanism on the use of child soldiers.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On How Obama’s Supreme Court Choice Says Everything (Bad) About His Presidency

Nothing has epitomised the presidency of Barack Obama quite like his Supreme Court nominees. Time and again, Republican presidents will blithely nominate right wing ideological extremists (Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas) who only sometimes misfire and turn out to be liberals in disguise (David Souter). Yet Obama has consistently skipped over the judicially qualified liberals and gone for a succession of centrists... More>>

ALSO:

Turkey: UN Secretary-General On The Terrorist Bombing In Ankara

The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack in Ankara earlier today. According to the latest reports, the explosion in the Kizilay district killed and wounded dozens of people. More>>

ALSO:

Five Years On: Fukushima And New Zealand

Science Media Centre: It was the worst nuclear event since Chernobyl. In the wake of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, a crippled Japanese nuclear powerplant went into meltdown, and the world watched as emergency workers scrambled to shut down and contain the reactors. More>>

ALSO:

UNICEF: 1 In 3 Syrian Children Has Grown Up Knowing Only Crisis

An estimated 3.7 million Syrian children – 1 in 3 of all Syrian children - have been born since the conflict began five years ago, their lives shaped by violence, fear and displacement, according to a UNICEF report. This figure includes more than 151,000 children born as refugees since 2011. More>>

ALSO:

Franklin Lamb: Syria’s Truce Bodes Well For Salvaging Our Cultural Heritage

The tentative cessation of hostilities in Syria, which came into effect on 2/28/2016, brokered by Washington and Moscow, is only in its second week... It is well documented that there have been daily incidents of artillery shelling, airstrikes and clashes. Yet, for the nearly 12 million displaced civilians, half of Syria’s population, it’s a much welcomed respite. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Rubio’s Last Stand (And Sleater-Kinney)

Well, it certainly was entertaining to watch Rubio succeed in getting under Donald Trump’s skin the other day, in the last debate before tomorrow’s Super Tuesday multi-state sweepstakes... The real killer for Rubio was that the most recent poll from Florida which shows him losing his home state to Trump by a huge margin in the primary due on March 15. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news