World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Use of Excessive Force Against Demonstrators in Siliana

UN Rights Chief Urges Tunisia to Stop Use of Excessive Force Against Demonstrators in Siliana

New York, Nov 30 2012 11:10AM The United Nations human rights chief today expressed alarm at the current unrest in the Tunisian town of Siliana, and urged the Government to stop using excessive force against demonstrators, while also calling on the population to avoid resorting to violence.

“The High Commissioner condemns the excessive and disproportionate use of force by members of the security forces against the protesters whose demonstration was announced in advance. In particular, she is urging the authorities to immediately halt the use of shotguns against protesters,” Rupert Colville, the spokesperson for UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, <"http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=12848&LangID=E">told reporters in Geneva.

“The rights to freedom of expression and opinion, and peaceful assembly are fundamental human rights which must be protected and respected,” he noted.

On Tuesday, protest over unemployment and imbalances in development broke out, leading to violent confrontations between demonstrators and security forces, according to the Office of the N High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). More than 220 people are believed to have been injured, and sporadic violence, house-to-house searches and arrests are reported to have taken place in Siliana yesterday.

“Some of the demonstrators suffered serious injuries caused by the use of bird shot, reportedly fired without warning,” Mr. Colville said. “On Thursday, our staff visited victims who had been taken to hospitals in the capital Tunis, and have documented cases of shotgun wounds to the head, back, and face, as well as eye injuries which could in some cases lead to blindness.”

“Some demonstrators are also suffering from broken bones,” he added. “We understand a number of police officers have also been injured and our staff in Tunis will be visiting them in hospital today.”

Mr. Colville stated that the High Commissioner welcomed the Government’s announcement yesterday of an independent Commission of Inquiry to investigate the events and urged them to take appropriate measures to guarantee accountability and prevent such abuses from occurring in future.

“[Ms. Pillay] is also calling on all parties to engage in a positive and constructive dialogue, and urging the Government of Tunisia to take the necessary measures to ensure equitable development that will permit all Tunisians to enjoy their economic and social rights,” Mr. Colville said. “The economy in the Siliana region has been in decline for years, and this appears to be the root cause of the unrest we have seen over the past few days.”
Nov 30 2012 11:10AM
________________

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Iraq: Grave Crimes Committed On 'Unimaginable Scale'

Members of an ethnic Yezidi family sleep in the shade in Shekhadi village, Iraq, after fleeing Sinjar. Photo: UNHCR/N. Colt More>>

Lesotho: Concern About Reported Military Takeover In Lesotho

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday about the reported military takeover in the southern African nation of Lesotho, and called on all parties to resolve their differences peacefully. More>>

ALSO:

Ban Ki Moon:Alarmed At Israel's Announced Seizure Of West Bank Land

1 September 2014 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today voiced his alarm at the announcement by Israeli authorities to declare nearly 1,000 acres of land in Bethlehem as so-called “state land.” More>>

Ebola:Response Based On ‘Scientific Evidence, Not On Fear'

Ebola Response Must Be Based on ‘Scientific Evidence, Not on Fear,’ Urge Top UN Officials More>>


UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news