World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Search for eight fishermen missing off Samoa

Search for eight fishermen missing off Samoa

A search is underway for eight men onboard three fishing boats missing off Samoa following the cyclone that struck the country at the end of last week.

A RNZAF P3 Orion has been tasked by the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) to conduct searches off the coast of Samoa, and arrived on site at around 7am this morning (Sunday, 16 December).
 
The P3 Orion has spotted a vessel answering the description of one the missing vessel washed up on Apolima Island, but it is unconfirmed if it is one of the missing vessels.  No sign was seen of the crew.
 
A tug is travelling from Apia, about two hours away, to investigate. Sea conditions remain rough and unsuitable for smaller vessels.

Tahiti search and rescue authorities are also providing a French Navy Gardian aircraft, which will be in the area by 5pm (NZ time).
 
RCCNZ Search and Rescue Mission Coordinator Tracy Brickles said the 30-year-old skipper of one of the boats had managed to reach the island of Monono, between the main islands of Savai’I and Upolu.
 
The man has yet to be formally interviewed by Samoan Police but is believed to have clung to flotsam after the boat tipped over some time on Friday.  No further information is available about his crew.
 
The boats – all 9m, twin-hulled, aluminium vessels fitted with outboard motors -  were due to return from fishing trips on Friday.  The RCCNZ was contacted yesterday afternoon.
 
“The P3 Orion has searched for five hours and will shortly land in Apia to refuel and allow the crew to rest overnight before continuing the search tomorrow,” Ms Brickles said.
 
“The focus of searching today is on coastal areas and the sea and small islands between the two main islands, as this is the area indicated by drift modeling as likely to be where the prevailing conditions would have taken the boats.”
 
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 


21 Egyptians Beheaded

Egyptian jets bombed Islamic State targets in Libya on Monday, a day after the group there released a video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians, drawing Cairo directly into the conflict across its border. More>>

Protests In Bil’in Honoring Slain US Citizens

Protesters at demonstration in Bil’in honoring slain US citizens face attacks and arrests by Israeli forces. More>>

Resolution Targeting Sources Of Financing For ISIL

Ambassadors representing two countries under attack from ISIL, Bashar Ja’afari (right) of Syria, and Mohamed Ali Alhakim of Iraq, speak to journalists following the adoption of a Security Council resolution targeting sources of financing for ... More>>

ALSO:

  • U.S. Department of State - Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force
  • "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    ISM Honours Kayla Mueller

    Abdullah Abu Rahma, coordinator of the popular committee in the village of Bil’in where Kayla joined the protests, told ISM: “Kayla came to Palestine to stand in solidarity with us. She marched with us and faced the military that occupies our ... More>>


    US Measles Outbreak: UN Urges Parents Vaccinate Children

    3 February 2015 – Parents in the United States must vaccinate their children against measles in order to maintain the high levels of immunity necessary in keeping outbreaks of the aggressively contagious virus small and contained, the United Nations World ... More>>

    Ebola: Large-Scale Vaccine Trials Under Way In Liberia

    WHO welcomed the donation by the Public Health Agency of Canada of 800 vials of one of the leading candidate Ebola vaccines, rVSV-ZEBOV. Photo: WHO/M. Missioneiro (file) More>>

    Security Council Denounce Murder Of Jordanian Pilot

    3 February 2015 – For the second time in as many days, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have jointly condemned the brutal killing of a civilian by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) – this time deploring ... More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news