World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Mission in DR Congo Warns M23 Armed Group

UN Peacekeeping Mission in DR Congo Warns M23 Armed Group Over Helicopter Attacks

New York, Dec 28 2012 12:00PM The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) today warned the 23 March Movement (M23) armed group that anyone attacking UN helicopters “will be prosecuted” as a war criminal.

The warning from the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in DRC (MONUSCO) comes after two of the mission’s utility helicopters faced hostile fire on 26 December from “two localities under M23 control,” according to a MONUSCO <"http://monusco.unmissions.org/Default.aspx?tabid=10846&ctl=Details&mid=13890&ItemID=19509&language=en-US">press release.

MONUSCO said the helicopters were unarmed and are “routinely used for medical evacuation for both UN personnel and civilians.”

They were fired upon while undertaking a “routine flying certification” 20 kilometres north of Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu province in eastern DRC that the M23 occupied last month for 11 days.

MONUSCO added that this was the second time that UN helicopters had been “deliberately targeted by M23 elements” during December.

The M23 is made up of former DRC army troops who mutinied in April, and named after a 23 March 2009 peace agreement that they reportedly say has not been implemented. For its part, MONUSCO is deployed in DRC to protect civilians, humanitarian personnel and human rights defenders, among other tasks set by the UN Security Council.

“MONUSCO reminds that peacekeepers are in the exclusive service of peace, and that any attack against them constitutes a war crime,” the mission said. “Those responsible for such acts will be prosecuted and brought to justice.”

The M23 has this month participated in peace talks with the DRC Government in the Ugandan capital of Kampala. Its troops withdrew from Goma at the end of November under the supervision of some of the 1,500 MONUSCO peacekeepers deployed in the city of one million. This was in accordance with requirements laid out in a communiqué issued by the regional intergovernmental group known as the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR).

MONUSCO said it has reported the recent attacks to ICGLR’s Joint Verification Mechanism in Goma, which monitors the border between DRC and Rwanda.

It added that the 26 December attacks took place at approximately 8 p.m., with initial fire originating from Kibumba, a town about 25 kilometres north of Goma, and a second round of fire coming from Kanyamahoro, another locality in the region.
Dec 28 2012 12:00PM

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Lack Of Funds Forces UN Agency To Halt Gaza Rebuild

Lack of funds forces UN agency to halt Gaza programme for repairs to destroyed homes More>>

ALSO:

Freeport Wins 6-Month Export Extension

An aerial view shows the site of the Grasberg Mine, operated by US.-based Freeport-McMoRan, in Papua in this Nov. 4, 2010 file photo. (Reuters Photo/Muhammad Yamin) More>>

ALSO:

Former Malaysian Prime Minister Speaks Out Against Sarawak

After receiving a letter from the network of communities affected by the dams, Malaysia’s former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad criticises the Sarawak government’s multi-dam initiative More>>

Egypt: UN Rights Chief Urges End To Excessive Use Of Force

As police, protesters clash in Egypt, UN rights chief urges end to excessive use of force More>>

Ukraine: Minsk Peace Accords Must Be Revived

Jeffrey Feltman, Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs, addresses the Security Council on the situation in Ukraine. UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe More>>

ALSO:

Connie Lawn: Middle East Turmoil

There is always turmoil in the Mid East but at this time three major developments have broken at the same time. In Saudi Arabia 91 year old King Abdullah has died... In Yemen, the President and his top advisors have resigned. More>>

ALSO:

Russia Supports Indonesia`s Possible Move To Buy Sukhoi 35

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Russian government supports Indonesias wish to buy the multipurpose fighter jet Sukhoi 35 to enhance the countrys air force. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news