World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Captain Cook's Pistol for Sale

Captain Cook's Pistol for Sale

For a man who had such a profound effect on the European colonisation of Australia, there is remarkably very little physical evidence of Captain James Cook or his personal possessions.

While his legacy looms large in Australia's collective consciousness, only Cook's pistol remains as the one key link to his life and relationship with Australia. If not for the efforts of former Melbourne Lord Mayor, Ron Walker, even this would have stayed well away from our reach.

Mr Walker purchased the pistol in 2003 from the descendants of Cook at an auction in Edinburgh, Scotland. It had been willed to the family by Cook and remained in their possession for more than two centuries.

Now, almost 250 years after his death in Hawaii, the early 18th century Continental Flintlock holster pistol will be offered for sale by Leski Auctions of Melbourne under instructions from Mr Walker.

"There is a wealth of memorabilia available that is associated with the icons of Australia, be it Bradman, the Kelly Gang, Phar Lap, Kingsford Smith or Mawson," says Charles Leski.

"Yet James Cook, arguably the most significant of that group in terms of his impact on Australia as a nation, has left us virtually nothing. This pistol is therefore the one tangible link to him personally.

"We can confidently argue that he left his DNA on this, something that can’t be said for the anchor or the cannon of the HMB Endeavour, which are located in Cooktown, North Queensland and Canberra respectively."

The lock of the pistol is signed "Corbau-A-Maastricht", a reference to its Dutch gunmaker, Godefroi Corbau Le Jeune. It features a plain 13 bore barrel, brass fore-sight, spurred brass pommel, brass trigger guard, replacement ramrod and pipe, and pale fruitwood full stock with carved shell behind tang. The barrel is 31cm long.

The 'Captain Cook pistol' is a rare and compelling offering that is without peer.

Lot 21 has a pre-sale estimate of $100,000 - $200,000. (NB: Image available at [ ]

It will be offered for sale by Leski Auctions in Melbourne on Thursday, February 14th at 5.00pm.

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news