World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


One Billion Rising Fiji


PR04/2013

Wednesday February 13, 2013
PRESS RELEASE

One Billion Rising Fiji

On February 14, 2013, the Fiji Women’s Rights Movement will be joining women and men, around the world in rising up, dancing and demanding an end to violence against women. This global day of action marks the fifteenth anniversary of V Day – a global movement to end violence against women.

“FWRM supports the One Billion Rising Fiji campaign because it is appalled at the statistics of rape in Fiji. Since the beginning of this year, we have had two gang rapes; and only last week a nine-month child was raped,” said FWRM Executive Director Virisila Buadromo.

According to media reports, so far this year, the police have dealt with more than 100 incidents of rape and sexual abuse.

A national survey of women in Fiji by the Fiji Women’s Crisis Centre has found that more than three in five (64% of women) who had ever been in a relationship have experienced physical or sexual violence or both by a husband or intimate partner.


Globally, statistics show that one in three women on the planet will be raped and beaten in their lifetime.

“That’s more than one billion women violated - one billion women, which also includes the women and girls in Fiji. We must rise up and put a stop to the rape culture that is prevalent in our homes and communities. The elimination of rape should be on everyone’s agenda and given priority by all State bodies and corporations.”


FWRM will be marching in solidarity with One Billion Rising Fiji on Thursday and urges members of the public to do the same.

March details

Date : Thursday February 14, 2013
Time : 11.30am – procession to gather at Gordon St (near the Tanoa Plaza) and march to Sukuna Park. There will also be a flash mob to the ‘Break the Chain’ song at Tappoo City and MHCC at 5.30pm


ENDS.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 


21 Egyptians Beheaded

Egyptian jets bombed Islamic State targets in Libya on Monday, a day after the group there released a video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians, drawing Cairo directly into the conflict across its border. More>>

Protests In Bil’in Honoring Slain US Citizens

Protesters at demonstration in Bil’in honoring slain US citizens face attacks and arrests by Israeli forces. More>>

Resolution Targeting Sources Of Financing For ISIL

Ambassadors representing two countries under attack from ISIL, Bashar Ja’afari (right) of Syria, and Mohamed Ali Alhakim of Iraq, speak to journalists following the adoption of a Security Council resolution targeting sources of financing for ... More>>

ALSO:

  • U.S. Department of State - Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force
  • "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    ISM Honours Kayla Mueller

    Abdullah Abu Rahma, coordinator of the popular committee in the village of Bil’in where Kayla joined the protests, told ISM: “Kayla came to Palestine to stand in solidarity with us. She marched with us and faced the military that occupies our ... More>>


    US Measles Outbreak: UN Urges Parents Vaccinate Children

    3 February 2015 – Parents in the United States must vaccinate their children against measles in order to maintain the high levels of immunity necessary in keeping outbreaks of the aggressively contagious virus small and contained, the United Nations World ... More>>

    Ebola: Large-Scale Vaccine Trials Under Way In Liberia

    WHO welcomed the donation by the Public Health Agency of Canada of 800 vials of one of the leading candidate Ebola vaccines, rVSV-ZEBOV. Photo: WHO/M. Missioneiro (file) More>>

    Security Council Denounce Murder Of Jordanian Pilot

    3 February 2015 – For the second time in as many days, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have jointly condemned the brutal killing of a civilian by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) – this time deploring ... More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news