World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Giant Sand Sculpture to Raise Awareness of Phone Addiction

Giant Sand Sculpture to Raise Awareness of Mobile Phone Addiction

Set in Sand International Smart Phone Awareness Campaign Moodoff Day

A massive sand sculpture has been created by well-known sand sculptor Manas Sahoo depicting a number of world-renowned landmarks and a mobile phone in support of global Moodoff Day held on February 24th.

The growing trend of smart phone addiction is affecting more and more people around the world, with global initiative Moodoff Day asking smart phone users to ‘switch off’ for five hours this Sunday. The not-for-profit initiative has been covered by media in many countries including Sky News’ Tech Report.

The campaign raises awareness of how smart phones impact our lives whether at work, with our colleagues, friends and family or worse by texting while driving. The Australian born campaign has inspired a group of sand castle designers in Puri Beach, India to create a giant sand sculpture in support of the cause.

“We wanted to create something to make people aware of how much smart phones really impact our lives,” said sand sculptor Manas Sahoo.

Founder of the global campaign Tapas Senapati said, “We are pleased to see that our campaign has reached people in over 40 countries now, with this sand sculpture showing just how much and far smart phone addiction has been recognised.”

The Moodoff Day initiative was launched only last year with over a dozen countries partaking and thousands of people committing to giving it a break and switching their phones off for five hours.

“This year’s campaign promises to be much bigger,” said Senapati.

Many thousands of smart phone users in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the US, Germany, France, Singapore, the UK and many other countries have already pledged to do without on Sunday 24th February and to find out whether they are actually addicted to their beloved devices.

While many participants in last year’s event were successful, many also could not bear to be without their phones, Senapati said.

“Being without their smart phones for only a few hours proved a big challenge for participants and going by the feedback we have received, many will try to curb their dangerous and addictive smart phone habits,” said Senapati.

With over 1.2 billion smart phone users globally, the impact on quality of live and especially when used while driving is becoming a growing concern. Last year 6 000 fatalities and half a million accidents were recorded that involved mobile phones in the USA alone, driving the seriousness of phone addiction home to users everywhere.

Smart phone users globally are encouraged to log onto or ‘like’ to pledge their support and to take a holiday from their phones and spend five ‘Smart Hours for Smart People without Smart Phones’ on February 24th.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news