World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


PNG PM Silent on Environmental Risks of Deep Sea Mine

MEDIA RELEASE

http://www.deepseaminingoutofourdepth.org

Thursday 28 February 2013

PNG PM Silent on Environmental Risks of the Solwara 1 Deep Sea Mine

Last December the Deep Sea Mining Campaign sent a letter to Papua New Guinean Prime Minister, Peter O’Neill. The letter outlined specific environmental concerns about the Solwara 1 mine and requested that documents relating to the approvals process of Nautilus Minerals Solwara 1 deep sea mine be made publicly available. The campaign is still awaiting a response from the PNG Government.

Wence Magun, National Coordinator for the Madang based Mas Kagin Tapani and Deep Sea Mining (DSM) Campaign steering committee member said, “After receiving our letter last December, Our Prime Minister described the environment as a “core issue. But communities are still waiting to hear how he will address the many risks associated with the Solwara 1 mine – and they want to hear this before his Government re-opens any discussions with Nautilus. Why has our PM fallen silent on this core issue?”

Nautilus has been in dispute with the PNG Government since last year and the company suspended operations relating to the Solwara 1 project in November 2012. Michael Johnston, Nautilus president and CEO, expressed just a few days ago that the company has high hopes for a resolution to the dispute.

Patrick Kaiku, Lecturer in Political Science at the University of Papua New Guinea and another DSM campaign steering committee member states, “Not only is a response from the Prime Minister overdue, the petitions from the various coastal communities in the proposed Solwara project areas, that were submitted in November last year to Hon. Byron Chan, PNG Mining Minister, are yet to receive a formal response,”

“Our campaign’s two reports show that there are many errors and omissions in the Solwara 1 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). This means that we don’t yet understand the risks to our coastal communities posed by this mine. How could the PNG Government have granted Nautilus its 20 year operating licence when so many questions remain unanswered?”

“In the interests of transparency and informed debate the PNG Government should now release the documents we requested in the letter we sent late last year. We don’t want discussions to be held with the company behind closed doors while the people of PNG are left in the dark.”

Oigen Schulze, Director of Zero Inc, a community organisation in New Ireland Province said, “Local communities have NOT sanctioned the Solwara 1 project. No one knows what the impacts of this form of mining will be. Communities want to know what concrete steps the Prime Minister will now take to ensure we are not being used us as guinea pigs in a sea bed mining experiment.”

“We know that Nautilus are secretly visiting remote communities in New Ireland Province and trying to convince them to agree to deep sea mining. This is not informed consent – these communities have not been provided with information about the risks they also face.”

Dr. Helen Rosenbaum, coordinator of the Deep Sea Mining campaign states, “Solwara 1 is the world’s first deep sea mining experiment. The eyes of the world are watching to see how the PNG Government deals with the flaws in the Nautilus EIS and the high level of community concern. The people of PNG deserve to know that their Government is acting in their best interests and is not putting their lives and livelihoods at risk.”

URL: http://www.deepseaminingoutofourdepth.org
Download Reports: http://deepseaminingoutofourdepth.org/report

Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deepseaminingpacific
Join us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NoDeepSeaMining
Join us on Youtube: http://youtube.com/StopDeepSeaMining

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Russia Supports Indonesia`s Possible Move To Buy Sukhoi 35

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Russian government supports Indonesias wish to buy the multipurpose fighter jet Sukhoi 35 to enhance the countrys air force. More>>

W International Monetary Fund Downgrade Global Growth Forecast

20 January 2015 – Despite a sharp decline in oil prices, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its latest economic outlook today lowered growth expectations for this year and the next for most countries due to slowdown in investment, and urged governments ... More>>

ALSO:

UN Rights Expert Cancels Visit To Palestinian Territory

Israel’s lack of cooperation leads to cancelled visit by UN rights expert to the occupied Palestinian territory More>>

Pentagon To Deploy 400 Troops To Train Syrian Rebels

Rebel fighters take positions behind sand barricades at al-Breij frontline, after what they said was an advance by them in al-Manasher and al-Majbal areas, where forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad were stationed, in Aleppo January 5, 2015. ... More>>

ALSO:


U.S. Eases Sanctions On Export Of Tech To Cuba

Washington — Today, the Department of Treasury and Department of Commerce officially released the anticipated changes to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) , reforms announced last year by President ... More>>

Increased Gold Demand Following Shock SNB Move

Gold surged in dollars, pounds and especially euros yesterday after the Swiss Natonal Bank (SNB) caused turmoil in markets. Spot gold surged $30.50 or 2.48% to $1,258.50 per ounce and gold in euro terms rose by 4 per cent from EUR 1,044 to over EUR 1,085 ... More>>

What Next After Palestine's ICC Bid?

President Abbas has applied for Palestine’s membership in the International Criminal Court, paving the way for trials of Israeli officials on war crimes. Whether this ... More>>

ALSO:

  • Palestinian Centre For Human Rights - EU recognition of Palestine: What is it good for?
  • UN Mourns Slain French Cartoonists

    At UNESCO headquarters in Paris, the UN flag flies at half-mast in homage to victims of yesterday's attack on Charlie Hebdo. UNESCO/Pilar Chang-Joo More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news