World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


More Displaced Syrians Concentrated Near Aleppo, Damascus

Increasing Number of Displaced Syrians Concentrated Near Aleppo, Damascus – UN Reports

New York, May 7 2013 - Syrians forced by the ongoing violence to leave their homes are often displaced more than once and are concentrating around Aleppo and rural Damascus, the United Nations emergency relief arm today said, as aid agencies faced bureaucratic hurdles and insecurity trying to reach hard-to-access areas.

Characterizing the situation as “large-scale and fluid,” the spokesman for the Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Jens Laerke, told journalists in Geneva that over the past few months, the number of internally displaced Syrians “has more than doubled, from an estimated two million to 4.25 million people.”

The highest concentration of internally-displaced Syrians – many of whom have been forced to move multiple times – is in the northern city of Aleppo, at 1.25 million people, followed by the rural area around the capital Damascus, with 705,200, Mr. Laerke said.

The spokesperson added that of the approximate 6.8 million people inside Syria in urgent need of humanitarian assistance, children make up nearly half.

In her briefing to the UN Security Council last month, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos said OCHA and its aid partners faced a litany of hurdles to reach families in need, including visas delayed for up to two months, a three-day notice requirement imposed on all aid convoys and other bureaucratic delays, dozens of road blocks, and a reduction of approved non-Government Organizations (NGOs) from 110 to 29.

Recently OCHA was putting in more applications for convoys allowing the agency to increasingly reach people in hard-to-access areas.

“From January to April, some 764,000 people have been reached through UN-led relief convoys,” Mr. Laerke said. “Out of 10 convoys which crossed conflict lines, five targeted opposition-controlled areas, while another five went to contested areas.”

Yet, despite some progress, there was little movement on the bureaucratic obstacles, as each convoy needed authorizations at several levels. Mr. Laerke said OCHA “continued to work on that” with the Syrian Government.

He said that the last convoy was on 25 April, when a UN inter-agency convoy crossed conflict lines and reached Ter Mallah and Al Ghan in Homs governorate to deliver food and essential non-food items for 24,000 people.

During her earlier briefing, Ms. Amos also told that Security Council about OCHA’s efforts to bring in supplies from across the Turkish borders to help Syrian families in the north.

“So far, the Syrian Government had not agreed to cross-border operations,” Mr. Laerke said.

Meanwhile, the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) estimates that approximately 235,000 Palestine refugees, almost half the Palestine refugee community in Syria, have now been displaced.

Some 42,000 refugees have so far fled to Lebanon, while another 6,000 have left to Jordan. According to latest figures from UNRWA, more than 400,000 Palestine refugees currently require urgent humanitarian assistance.

In addition, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned in the latest humanitarian bulletin on Syria of the declining access to clean water across the country, “Frequent power cuts, fuel shortages, damage to infrastructure and disruption to water works has led to a significant decline from 75 litres (pre-crisis) to about 25 litres per person daily.”

The UN agency has been distributing some water purification supplies to offset the lack of waste-water treatment and chlorination available in some areas.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Death Of Fidel Castro

New Zealand likes to think we played our part – via the 1981 Springbok tour – in bringing the apartheid regime in South Africa to an end… Jacob Zuma treated the death of Fidel Castro at the weekend as an occasion to pay a heartfelt tribute to the thousands of Cuban soldiers who travelled across the world to inflict the first significant military defeat on the forces of white supremacy. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The US Election Home Stretch

Once again at the business end of a US election, the result will hinge on the same old bits of geography as always: the Five Crucial Counties in Ohio, the Two Crucial Counties in Pennsylvania and the I-4 Interstate Corridor in Florida that runs from Tampa Bay through Orlando to Daytona Beach. More>>

ALSO:

Meanwhile:

Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>

ALSO:

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news