World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


NZIFF Announces Five International Guests


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday 13 June

NZIFF Announces Five International Guests

The New Zealand International Film Festival today announced five further international guests to attend the Festival, along with a returning New Zealand filmmaker.

Denmark-based New Zealand director Daniel Joseph Borgman will attend the NZIFF screenings of his feature film The Weight of Elephants. The film premiered at the Berlinale in February and opened on general release in Denmark last week. The film tells the story of 11 year-old Adrian whose world is thrown into turmoil when three children in his small town disappear.

“Daniel Joseph Borgman’s evocation of a lonely boy’s misapprehensions about the world is extraordinarily vivid. His sensitive direction of the children provides exceptional insight into their world,” says NZIFF Director Bill Gosden.

NZIFF also announced that the following international filmmakers who will attend the festival:

Australian filmmakers Director Kim Mordaunt, Producer Sylvia Wilczynski and Executive Producer Bridget Ikin will be in New Zealand with their award-winning The Rocket. Mordaunt and Wilczynski will introduce Auckland and Wellington screenings.

Director Sean Baker, from the USA, will visit both Auckland and Wellington with his film Starlet about the unlikely friendship between an old and a young woman.

Maureen Gosling, co-Director of This Ain’t No Mouse Music!, will attend the Auckland and Wellington screenings of her film. The documentary tells the story of Chris Strachwitz, the guiding force behind legendary roots label Arhoolie Records.

The Festival has already announced American pro-snowboarder Kevin Pearce will attend the Auckland screenings of The Crash Reel, from director Lucy Walker. Italian prog-rock band Goblin will perform their iconic score to Dario Argento’s horror masterpiece, Suspiria, on Friday July 19 at The Civic in Auckland.

NZIFF will begin in Auckland (18 July – 4 August), open in Wellington one week later (26 July – 11 August), then Christchurch (1 – 18 August) and Dunedin (8 – 25 August) before continuing to travel around New Zealand screening in Gore, Palmerston North, Hamilton, Nelson, Tauranga, Masterton, Hawke’s Bay and New Plymouth.

NZIFF programmes will be available online and around town from June 25 in Auckland, and June 28 in Wellington. For Festival updates visit www.nziff.co.nz and register to receive e-newsletters.

 

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Palestine: Border Police Extremely Close When They Shot The US Activist

New testimony at final hearing in Tristan Anderson's trial indicates Border Police were extremely close when they shot the US activist in the head More>>

Palestine: Ni’lin Demonstrators Met With Violence

International Solidarity Movement On the 20th of March, during Ni’lin’s weekly Friday demonstration, Israeli occupation forces attacked protestors with about 20 rounds of tear gas canisters shot with the ‘venom’ tear gas launcher mounted on a military jeep ... More>>

ALSO:

UN Envoy Says Yemen On 'Rapid Downward Spiral'

Yemen stands on the brink of civil war amid deepening political tensions and an uptick in sectarian violence, United Nations Special Adviser Jamal Benomar warned today as he explained that only through dialogue could the country achieve a peaceful political transition. More>>


Continued International Support As Vanuatu Recovers

Damage seen on Saturday 14 March 2015 in Port Vila, capital of Vanuatu, after Cyclone Pam moved through the Archipelago. Photo: UNICEF Pacific More>>

UNICEF Rushes Emergency Supplies For Cyclone-Affected Tuvalu

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) is dispatching emergency life-saving supplies to communities in Tuvalu as part of its efforts to assist communities in the Pacific region that were affected by Tropical Cyclone Pam, with nutrition and hygiene kits arriving today. More>>

Vanuatu: Regenvanu Expects 50% Of People Struck By Pam To Be Homeless

Vanuatu Minister of Lands Ralph Regenvanu says more than 50 percent of those hit by super Cyclone Pam at the weekend are now homeless. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news