World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Call for Entry into Force of Treaty Banning Nuclear Tests

UN Chief Renews Call for Entry into Force of Treaty Banning Nuclear Tests

New York, Jun 17 2013 - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today renewed his call for the earliest entry into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which prohibits all nuclear tests across the world.

“Now it is time for the international community to exercise political will and act,” Mr. Ban said in his message to the CTBT: Science and Technology 2013 Conference in Vienna, Austria.

The CTBT bans all nuclear explosions in all environments, for military or civilian purposes. It was adopted by the General Assembly in September 1996 but has not yet entered into force.

The Conference was organized by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO), which is tasked with building up the treaty’s verification regime so that it is fully operational when the treaty enters into force, and with promoting signatures and ratifications.

Out of a total listed number of 195 States, 183 have so far signed the CTBT and 159 have ratified it. For the treaty to enter into force, ratification is required from the so-called Annex 2 States. Of these, China, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Egypt, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan and the United States, have yet to ratify it.

In his video message, Mr. Ban told participants at the conference that the CTBT and CTBTO are essential for success in deterring further nuclear testing, and advancing a nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation regime.

“That is why conferences of this kind are so important. And it is why I renew my call for the earliest entry into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty,” Mr. Ban said.

“I look forward to our continued work to prevent nuclear proliferation and to rid the world of all such weapons.”

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Iraq: Grave Crimes Committed On 'Unimaginable Scale'

Members of an ethnic Yezidi family sleep in the shade in Shekhadi village, Iraq, after fleeing Sinjar. Photo: UNHCR/N. Colt More>>

Lesotho: Concern About Reported Military Takeover In Lesotho

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday about the reported military takeover in the southern African nation of Lesotho, and called on all parties to resolve their differences peacefully. More>>

ALSO:

Ban Ki Moon:Alarmed At Israel's Announced Seizure Of West Bank Land

1 September 2014 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today voiced his alarm at the announcement by Israeli authorities to declare nearly 1,000 acres of land in Bethlehem as so-called “state land.” More>>

Ebola:Response Based On ‘Scientific Evidence, Not On Fear'

Ebola Response Must Be Based on ‘Scientific Evidence, Not on Fear,’ Urge Top UN Officials More>>


UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news