World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Concern for Civilians in Central African Republic - UN

Amid Ongoing Insecurity, UN Voices Concern for Civilians in Central African Republic

New York, Jul 5 2013 - The United Nations refugee agency said today it is extremely concerned for more than 200,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) and over 20,000 refugees who have been affected by recent insecurity in the Central African Republic (CAR).

Over the past month, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and its partners visited parts of the capital, Bangui, as well as other areas to assess the situation of people affected by the insecurity in the country, where the government was ousted three months ago.

"The findings are very troubling," UNHCR spokesperson Adrian Edwards told reporters in Geneva. "Overall, there remains a serious absence of security, and lawlessness is widespread."

Staff on the missions received reports of arbitrary arrest and illegal detention, torture, extortion, armed robbery, physical violence including sexual violence, rape and attempted rape, abduction, restriction of movement, targeted lootings and attacks on civilians. Villages and houses had been burnt down in some areas by armed groups, he noted.

"Violence against women, girls and boys had also increased," said Mr. Edwards, adding that humanitarian agencies have been giving assistance and counselling to victims in some locations.

Although schools have reopened in parts of CAR, in many areas they remain closed. Access to health and basic services is also very limited. Mothers with newborn babies in many areas have no access to medical care and new births are not being registered.

The dire humanitarian situation in the CAR has been exacerbated by fighting in the past six months which further deteriorated even the most basic services. Violence erupted in December 2012 when the Séléka rebel coalition launched a series of attacks. A peace agreement was reached in January, but the rebels again seized Bangui in March, forcing President François Bozizé to flee.

Despite the volatile security situation, UNHCR and its partners are coordinating efforts to assist refugees -- mainly Congolese and Sudanese nationals -- living in camps in CAR.

UNHCR, along with the World Food Programme (WFP) and the International Medical Corps, has been able to distribute food to some 11,000 refugees.

In neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where over 40,000 CAR refugees have arrived, UNHCR continues to work with the national authorities to relocate refugees from the bordering areas into safer locations.

Nearly 60,000 people have fled CAR since December 2012. As more people continue to flee insecurity, the total number of refugees from CAR in the region now stands at over 220,000. UNHCR has recorded some 1,000 refugees arriving in DRC last month.

For more details go to UN News Centre at


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news