World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Attack near Indian Consulate in Eastern Afghanistan

Security Council Strongly Condemns Attack near Indian Consulate in Eastern Afghanistan

New York, Aug 5 2013 - The United Nations Security Council today condemned in the strongest terms the recent suicide attack near the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad which killed and injured civilians, including children.

The 15-member Council, in a statement read out to the press, extended its deep sympathy and sincere condolences to the families of the victims of the “heinous act” that took place on Saturday and to the Government and people of Afghanistan.

“Members of the Security Council underlined the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism to justice,” said Ambassador María Cristina Perceval of Argentina, which holds the rotating Council presidency for August.

The Council urged all States, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with the Afghan authorities.

Noting that the purported target of the attack was a consulate, the Council condemned “acts of violence against diplomatic and consular representatives, which endanger or take innocent lives and seriously impede the normal work of such representatives and officials.”

It also reaffirmed the need to combat terrorism, which the Council reiterated is “criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of its motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed, and should not be associated with any religion, nationality, civilization or ethnic group.”

Ms. Perceval also stressed that “no terrorist act can reverse the path towards Afghan-led peace, democracy and stability in Afghanistan,” which is supported by the people and the Government of Afghanistan and the international community.

In light of a number of recent terrorist attacks in Afghanistan, the Council members reiterated their serious concern at the threats posed by the Taliban, Al-Qaida and illegal armed groups to the local population, national security forces, international military and international assistance efforts in Afghanistan.

According to media reports, no group or individual has yet taken responsibility for the attack.

The UN political mission in Afghanistan, known as UNAMA, last week reported that the number of Afghan civilians killed or injured in the first half of 2013 rose by 23 per cent compared to the same period last year, owing mainly to the increased use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) by insurgents.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Fiji: Another Court Ruling, Another Setback For Freedom In Fiji

The sentencing of Citizens’ Constitutional Forum (CCF) and its director Reverend Akuila Yabaki for contempt of court is a major setback for the right to freedom of expression in Fiji, Amnesty International said today... More>>

Africa: Second Round Of Mali’s Election Occurs Without Incident

No major incidents occurred on Sunday during the second round of presidential elections, although heavy rains hampered the smooth conduct of voting operations in many parts of the country... More>>

Gaza: IOF Kills Palestinian Young Man East Of Bureij Refugee Camp

A Palestinian citizen was killed on Saturday evening by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) stationed to the east of Bureij refugee camp in the Gaza Strip... More>>

Iraq: Car Bombings Claim Dozens Of Lives During Eid Ul-Fitr

A senior United Nations envoy has expressed shock and outrage at a series of coordinated bombings that targeted shopping areas and parks in Baghdad and other parts of Iraq as people were celebrating the end of the holy month of Ramadan... More>>

Middle East: Ban Stresses Need For Political Solution To Syria Crisis

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressed the need to find a political solution to the ongoing conflict in Syria as well as to renew momentum for the holding of an international conference to achieve that goal, as he discussed the crisis with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov... More>>

Vanuatu: Young Pacific Islanders To Benefit From New Climate Awarenes

Thirty high school students from two schools in Port Villa, Vanuatu kick-started a new initiative that aims to get youth driven media content on climate change in front of decision makers through traditional and new media... More>>

Egypt Anti-Coup Alliance: No Invitation To Dialogue Received

The Alliance welcomes and appreciates all sincere efforts and national patriotic proposals aiming to take Egypt out of the current crisis, based on the rules of constitutional legitimacy, stressing that the key to the solution is restoring President Morsi to his office and duties... More>>

Pacific: Coastal Fisheries In The Pacific ‘A Mixed Report’

A new report on the status of reef and near-shore fisheries of Pacific Islands has delivered a mixed verdict about their health... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news