World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Egyptians Should Consider New Approaches for Inclusivity

Egyptians Should Consider New Approaches to Ensure Inclusive Political Process -- Ban

New York, Aug 10 2013 - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced deep concern at the continuing political stalemate in Egypt, and called on all sides to avoid provocations and to consider new approaches to ensure an inclusive political process rooted in reconciliation.

"The Secretary-General repeats his commitment to support non-violent, Egyptian-led approaches to meeting the aspirations of the Egyptian people," said a statement issued last night by his spokesperson.

Egypt has been undergoing a democratic transition following the toppling of President Hosni Mubarak two years ago in the wake of mass protests. Last month, renewed protests -- in which dozens of people were killed and wounded -- led to the Egyptian military deposing President Mohamed Morsy. The Constitution was then suspended and an interim government set up.

Mr. Ban applauded the "deep courage and commitment" of the Egyptian people over the past two years in exercising their rights to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression in support of their respective visions for moving Egypt forward, said the statement.

"Yet in light of current tensions and given the risk of potential violence, the Secretary-General also believes it is of critical importance that all sides in Egypt -- those in positions of authority as well as those protesting in the street -- should urgently reconsider their current actions and language.

"For this reason, the Secretary-General urges Egyptians to set aside or avoid actions and words likely to be perceived by others as provocative," the statement continued. "Instead they should try to look creatively at new approaches toward a genuinely inclusive political process that would be rooted in reconciliation. In the Secretary-General's view, political strategies need to adjust to evolving circumstances and realities if they are to serve their country."

Mr. Ban called on those in authority, on all sides, to exercise their leadership and their responsibility to do whatever can be done to prevent further loss of life among the Egyptian people.

"As long as they avoid the path of violence, the Secretary-General is confident that the Egyptian people, representing one of the world's great and historic civilizations, will successfully find a way forward. The United Nations remains fully engaged in supporting Egypt."

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Afghanistan: UN Mission Condemns Attack On Female Afghan Senator & Family

The United Nations has condemned the attack on Wednesday which led to the wounding of Afghan Senator Rouh Gul Khairzad and various members of her family, as well the death of her eight-year-old daughter and her driver... More>>

Middle East: $100 Million Saudi Contribution For UN Counter-Terrorism

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed his sincere gratitude to King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia for his announcement of a $100 million contribution for United Nations counter-terrorism efforts... More>>

North America: Wind Power Capacity Expanding Rapidly In U.S.

Wind power is gaining a greater share of the U.S. energy market, according to a new assessment from the Department of Energy, making the United States one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing markets for this clean and renewable source of energy... More>>

West Papua: Threatened With OPM Stigma, Village Leaders Intimidated

Merauke, like the rest of West Papua, is a militarized zone bearing the scars of fifty years of conflict. Now, as plantation companies continue to push their way in, it is not the first time that companies have been accused of using the ‘separatist’ stigma as a way to threaten indigenous people to give up their ancestral land... More>>

Middle East: Palestinian Political Prisoner Savagely Beaten By Soldiers

Lawyer Fares Ziad recently visited three of the twelve Palestinian political prisoners currently on hunger strike in Israeli jails. Ziad confirmed that the health of all three continue to rapidly deteriorate, with one hunger striker savagely beaten by five Israeli soldiers... More>>

Russia: All Out Escalates Campaign Against Russia Anti-Gay Crackdown

All Out publicly delivered a petition with more than 340,000 signatures against the Russian anti-gay crackdown to the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Sergey Lavrov, as he met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in New York City... More>>

Egypt: Response To Military-Installed Putschist Presidency


Following the announcement by the military-appointed president of the failure of negotiations, the pro-democracy, pro-legitimacy coalition holds the putschists responsible for any massacres that their forces may execute against peaceful protesters... More>>

Trans-Pacific Partnership: Lib/Lab Divide On Trans-Pacific Trade Issues Deplored

“As the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPPA) trade negotiations between the US, Australia and ten Asia Pacific countries are about to resume in Malaysia on Monday July 15, we urge the Rudd government to maintain its policy to refuse key demands by US industry which would reduce its ability to keep medicines affordable and to regulate tobacco advertising... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news