World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Kenyan Accused of Bribing Witness in Ruto Case

ICC Issues Arrest Warrant for Kenyan Accused of Bribing Witness in Ruto Case

New York, Oct 2 2013 - The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued an arrest warrant for a man accused of bribing a prosecution witness in the case against Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto.

A statement from the Court’s Prosecutor said that evidence collected so far indicates that there is a “network” of people who are trying to “sabotage” the case against Mr. Ruto – one of four prominent Kenyans accused of crimes against humanity and other offences allegedly committed following general elections in late 2007 – by interfering with prosecution witnesses.

“Walter Barasa, against whom compelling evidence has been collected, has been part of this network, and his actions fit into this wider scheme that the Office continues to investigate,” said Fatou Bensouda.

“We expect Kenyan authorities to arrest Walter Barasa and hand him over to the Court. He will appear before ICC judges on charges of corruptly influencing and attempting to corruptly influence a person he believed to be a prosecution witnesses.”

Under Article 70 of the Rome Statute, which established the ICC, using bribes or threats to influence witnesses to change or recant their testimony is a crime. If found guilty, Mr. Barasa – who is reportedly a journalist – faces up to five years in prison, a fine, or both.

Ms. Bensouda added that the issuance of an arrest warrant in this case should be a warning to others who may be involved in obstructing the course of justice through intimidating, harassing, bribing or attempting to bribe ICC witnesses.

“My Office will continue to do everything it can to ensure that witnesses are able to present their evidence before the Court without fear,” she stated. “Witnesses who have courage to come forward to testify deserve no less.”

More than 1,100 people were killed, 3,500 injured and up to 600,000 forcibly displaced in the violence that followed the December 2007 elections in Kenya.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gaza: 10,000 Gaza Workers Laid Off Due To Tightened Blockade

The Palestinian government said 10 thousand workers have joined the unemployed after construction materials stopped to flow through the underground tunnels along the Egyptian border. More>>

Greenpeace: New Zealander And Arctic Sunrise Captain Refused Bail in Russia

New Zealander David Haussmann, along with the captain of the Greenpeace International ship Arctic Sunrise and one other activist, has been refused bail in Russia. The Greenpeace International activists appeared this morning before a court in Murmansk. More>>

Liberia: Charles Taylor Transferred To UK For Enforcement Of Sentence

Charles Ghankay Taylor, the convicted former President of Liberia, was transferred today from the Netherlands and the custody of the Special Court to the United Kingdom, where he will serve the remainder of his 50-year sentence for war crimes and crimes ... More>>

West Papua: Asylum Seekers Dumped In Remote Refugee Camp

Six of the West Papuans who sought asylum in Australia after being persecuted for their involvement in a ceremonial handover of sacred water and ashes as part of the Freedom Flotilla, were relocated under armed guard to Kiunga on Saturday the 12th ... More>>

Pacific: Role Of Rural Women In Responding To Climate Change

On the International Day of Rural Women, the UN's top climate change official Christiana Figueres drew attention to the important role of rural women in responding to the challenge climate change. More>>

Pacific: U.S. Announces First Sale Of Apaches To Indonesia

Indonesia signed a letter of offer and acceptance (LOA) with the U.S. government to buy eight new Boeing AH-64E Apache helicopters during U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s recent trip to Southeast Asia. More>>

Asia-Pacific: UN Survey On Men Who Use Violence Against Women And Girls

A UN study of 10,000 men in Asia and the Pacific, released today, found that overall nearly half of those men interviewed reported using physical and/or sexual violence against a female partner, ranging from 26 percent to 80 percent across the sites ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news