World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


DR Congo: Funding Needed to Assist Displaced Persons

DR Congo: UN Agency In Need Of Funding To Assist Growing Number of Displaced Persons

New York, Oct 8 2013 - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today warned that it does not have the resources to provide assistance to a growing number of people displaced by fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

Initial assessments showed that around 80,000 people uprooted by clashes between the national army and rebels are in need of assistance in the Irumu region of Ituri in Province Orientale, WFP spokesperson Elisabeth Byrs told reporters in Geneva.

However, that number could increase to 120,000 to 150,000 people as fighting was still ongoing and assessments in some areas had been impossible due to security reasons, she added.

Given the displacement trends, WFP needs $4.2 million to cover needs for at least three months for 80,000 people. Ms. Byrs said the agency is currently diverting food stocks from other planned activities to help meet needs.

She noted that some areas are currently relatively stable and accessible, with identified concentrations of displaced households. Access is limited though in areas where fighting is ongoing, and displaced households are moving from location to location on a daily basis.

WFP started its assistance on 13 September, and has thus far assisted around 62,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host families. Beneficiary registrations are ongoing in Komanda and Soke. WFP intends to assist an additional 45,000 people between 10 and 13 October.

Fighting over the past year in eastern DRC has displaced more than 100,000 people, exacerbating an ongoing humanitarian crisis in the region which already includes 2.6 million IDPs and 6.4 million in need of food and emergency aid.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gaza: 10,000 Gaza Workers Laid Off Due To Tightened Blockade

The Palestinian government said 10 thousand workers have joined the unemployed after construction materials stopped to flow through the underground tunnels along the Egyptian border. More>>

Greenpeace: New Zealander And Arctic Sunrise Captain Refused Bail in Russia

New Zealander David Haussmann, along with the captain of the Greenpeace International ship Arctic Sunrise and one other activist, has been refused bail in Russia. The Greenpeace International activists appeared this morning before a court in Murmansk. More>>

Liberia: Charles Taylor Transferred To UK For Enforcement Of Sentence

Charles Ghankay Taylor, the convicted former President of Liberia, was transferred today from the Netherlands and the custody of the Special Court to the United Kingdom, where he will serve the remainder of his 50-year sentence for war crimes and crimes ... More>>

West Papua: Asylum Seekers Dumped In Remote Refugee Camp

Six of the West Papuans who sought asylum in Australia after being persecuted for their involvement in a ceremonial handover of sacred water and ashes as part of the Freedom Flotilla, were relocated under armed guard to Kiunga on Saturday the 12th ... More>>

Pacific: Role Of Rural Women In Responding To Climate Change

On the International Day of Rural Women, the UN's top climate change official Christiana Figueres drew attention to the important role of rural women in responding to the challenge climate change. More>>

Pacific: U.S. Announces First Sale Of Apaches To Indonesia

Indonesia signed a letter of offer and acceptance (LOA) with the U.S. government to buy eight new Boeing AH-64E Apache helicopters during U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s recent trip to Southeast Asia. More>>

Asia-Pacific: UN Survey On Men Who Use Violence Against Women And Girls

A UN study of 10,000 men in Asia and the Pacific, released today, found that overall nearly half of those men interviewed reported using physical and/or sexual violence against a female partner, ranging from 26 percent to 80 percent across the sites ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news