World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Chemical Weapons Watchdog Urges Cooperation in Syria

Chemical Weapons Watchdog Urges Cooperation in Syria to Carry Out UN-Joint Mission

New York, Oct 9 2013 - The head of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) today called on all parties in the Syrian conflict to cooperate so that a joint United Nations mission tasked with overseeing the destruction of the country’s chemical stockpiles can carry out its work as quickly as possible.

“We have urged all parties in Syria to be cooperative and to contribute positively to this mission,” the OPCW’s Director-General, Ahmet Üzümcü, said during a press conference in The Hague, and added that temporary ceasefires will permit the experts to carry out their work.

“Much depends on the situation on the ground,” he said, stressing that the deadline for destroying the chemical weapons is “extremely tight” and that there have been significant logistical and security challenges.

“I think that the elimination of those weapons is in the interest of all. Therefore, if we can assure some cooperation by all parties and some temporary ceasefires could be established in order to permit our experts to work in a permissible environment… I think the targets could be reached,”

The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution two weeks ago calling for the speedy implementation of procedures drawn up by the OPCW for the “expeditious destruction of the Syrian Arab Republic’s chemical weapons programme and stringent verification thereof.”

The destruction of chemical weapons facilities, stocks and associated material is the responsibility of the Syrian Government, since neither the OPCW nor the UN is mandated to conduct actual destruction activities.

An advance team for the UN-OPCW mission began its work on 6 October, and Mr. Üzümcü said some equipment has already been destroyed. He added that first verification activities have to be completed by the end of this month and production facilities will have to be rendered unusable by that time as well, with the view of destroying all chemical weapons capabilities by mid-2014.

Mr. Üzümcü said Syrian authorities have been cooperative so far, and added that 12 additional experts were deployed to Damascus, the capital, today.

The Council passed its resolution after Syria agreed to join the Chemical Weapons Convention in the wake of a chemical attack in August that reportedly killed hundreds of people in a Damascus suburb.

In a letter earlier this week to the Security Council proposing the formal establishment of the Joint OPCW-UN Mission, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called that attack an “especially disturbing” event in a conflict that has already killed over 100,000 people and driven some 6.5 million others from their homes since protesters first sought the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad’s Government in March, 2011.

Mr. Ban proposed that the Joint Mission will work in three phases, the first focusing on establishing an initial presence in Damascus and developing an initial operating capability, including verification activities through talks with the Government and planning for site visits.

In phase two, through 1 November, the OPCW must complete its initial inspections of all chemical weapons production and storage facilities, and oversee the destruction by Syria of all chemical weapons production and mixing and filling equipment.

During phase three, which the UN chief said “will be the most difficult and challenging phase…an operation the likes of which, quite simply, have never been tried before,” the Joint Mission will be expected to support, monitor and verify the destruction of a “complex chemical weapons programme involving multiple sites spread over a country engulfed in violent conflict, which includes approximately 1,000 metric tonnes of chemical weapons, agents and precursors that are dangerous to handle, dangerous to transport and dangerous to destroy.”

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gaza: 10,000 Gaza Workers Laid Off Due To Tightened Blockade

The Palestinian government said 10 thousand workers have joined the unemployed after construction materials stopped to flow through the underground tunnels along the Egyptian border. More>>

Greenpeace: New Zealander And Arctic Sunrise Captain Refused Bail in Russia

New Zealander David Haussmann, along with the captain of the Greenpeace International ship Arctic Sunrise and one other activist, has been refused bail in Russia. The Greenpeace International activists appeared this morning before a court in Murmansk. More>>

Liberia: Charles Taylor Transferred To UK For Enforcement Of Sentence

Charles Ghankay Taylor, the convicted former President of Liberia, was transferred today from the Netherlands and the custody of the Special Court to the United Kingdom, where he will serve the remainder of his 50-year sentence for war crimes and crimes ... More>>

West Papua: Asylum Seekers Dumped In Remote Refugee Camp

Six of the West Papuans who sought asylum in Australia after being persecuted for their involvement in a ceremonial handover of sacred water and ashes as part of the Freedom Flotilla, were relocated under armed guard to Kiunga on Saturday the 12th ... More>>

Pacific: Role Of Rural Women In Responding To Climate Change

On the International Day of Rural Women, the UN's top climate change official Christiana Figueres drew attention to the important role of rural women in responding to the challenge climate change. More>>

Pacific: U.S. Announces First Sale Of Apaches To Indonesia

Indonesia signed a letter of offer and acceptance (LOA) with the U.S. government to buy eight new Boeing AH-64E Apache helicopters during U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s recent trip to Southeast Asia. More>>

Asia-Pacific: UN Survey On Men Who Use Violence Against Women And Girls

A UN study of 10,000 men in Asia and the Pacific, released today, found that overall nearly half of those men interviewed reported using physical and/or sexual violence against a female partner, ranging from 26 percent to 80 percent across the sites ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news