Arab states must not close doors to Palestinian refugees
Gov. demands Arab states not to close their doors to Palestinian refugees
Gaza, 14 October 2013 - Palestinian Government demanded the Arab states not to close their doors in the face of Palestinian refugees, and work diligently to offer a helping hand to them.
Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Dr. Ghazi Hamad called Monday morning in a press conference on the United Nations its offshoot United Nations Relief and Works Agency refugees "UNRWA" to fulfill their responsibilities towards the plight of Palestinian refugees, and take action to put pressure on refugee host states to respect the international law and agreements.
"We are surprised with the inability of the states in where fleeing Palestinians take refuge to contain them and lend a helping hand to them," Hamad said.
He added that "the tragedy that the Palestinian refugees have been subjected to off Malta's shores should draw the attention of the League of Arab States and the Organization of the Islamic Conference to make the required efforts, and actively work to stop their suffering,"
Hamad stressed the government's readiness to receive the Palestinian refugees "We welcome them in their home and among their brothers in the Gaza Strip,"
He pointed out that the government will provide them with assistance, despite its limited resources, calling for concerted efforts to alleviate their plight.
Over 200 Palestinians were aboard a boat which capsized off Malta's coast on Friday.
The Action Group for Palestinians in Syria said earlier that over 200 Palestinians were aboard a boat, which left the Libyan port of Zwara on Thursday, capsized off Malta's coast on Friday.
Some 70 Palestinian refugees survived the shipwreck and are now in Malta, with the rest unaccounted for, the action group reported.
The boat was carrying up to 400 migrants, mostly Syrians.
At least 33 people perished after the boat sank on Friday, a week after another shipwreck off Italy left at least 359 dead, prompting Malta to warn that the Mediterranean was becoming "a cemetery."
Some of the 206 known survivors of the shipwreck said Libyan militiamen shot wildly at them, leaving several people dead and causing the vessel to take on water and sink.