World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Sarawak Energy’s crony contracts: NGOs lodge complaint

Sarawak Energy’s crony contracts: NGOs lodge complaint with Norwegian corruption watchdog

Complaint against Sarawak Energy’s Norwegian CEO, Torstein Dale Sjotveit pressures Norway’s anti-corruption agency, Økokrim, to move against the ex-patriate hydropower manager – Sjøtveit accused of granting contracts worth over 400 million USD to the family of Chief Minister Taib Mahmud

Oslo/Norway, 3 November 2013 - In a surprise move, Swiss rainforest advocacy group, the Bruno Manser Fund, and its Norwegian partner, FIVAS, have lodged an urgent complaint against the state-owned Malaysian power supplier, Sarawak Energy, with Norway’s anti-corruption agency, Økokrim. The complaint is directed against Sarawak Energy’s Norwegian CEO, Torstein Dale Sjøtveit, for unduly favouring the family of Sarawak Chief Minister Taib Mahmud. Under Norway’s tough anti-corruption laws, Norwegian citizens can be held accountable for their involvement in corruption anywhere in the world.

The complaint follows the announcement by Sarawak Energy that it has granted Sarawak Cable, a company chaired by Taib’s son, Mahmud Abu Bekir Taib, two contracts worth 196 million US dollars for the construction of powerlines in Sarawak. Earlier research by the Bruno Manser Fund had shown that, between 2010 and early 2013, Taib-family-linked companies had already been granted contracts worth over 220 million US dollars. With the latest announcement, the grand total of contracts awarded to the Taib family during Mr. Sjøtveit’s tenure as CEO of Sarawak Energy is more than USD 416 million.

“The extent of conflict of interest in the Sarawak power sector is simply shocking”, Bruno Manser Fund director Lukas Straumann said on Friday after a meeting with Økokrim in Oslo. “And it is disturbing to see that ex-patriate managers working for the Sarawak government, such as Mr. Sjøtveit, are playing an active role in the Taib family’s machinations. Corruption is a crime and its responsibles must be held accountable.”

The Bruno Manser Fund also criticized Malaysia’s Anti-Corruption Commission for remaining inactive despite several complaints against Mr. Sjøtveit and Sarawak Energy that had been lodged last year. “It is obvious that Malaysia’s judiciary is protecting the Taib family and its backers from criminal prosecution. We therefore believe that only an investigation in Norway can push the matter forward.”

Mr. Sjøtveit has recently been conferred the honorary title of “datuk” (Sir) by the Governor of Sarawak. It is widely assumed that the distinction was awarded on request of Sarawak Chief Minister Taib Mahmud as a recognition of services rendered to his family.

The Swiss-based Bruno Manser Fund (BMF) is committed to protect the threatened tropical rainforests and the rights of the indigenous forest peoples. The association’s focus lies on Sarawak, the Malaysian state in Borneo. The Bruno Manser Fund was founded by Swiss rainforest advocate Bruno Manser who has been missing since his last trip to Sarawak in May 2000.

Sources used for this release:

Torstein receives honorary Datuk, New Sarawak Tribune, 15 September 2013NGO reports Sjotveit to MACC, 6. September 2012
Økokrim website

Please contact us for more information:
Bruno Manser Fund
www.bmf.ch
www.stop-corruption-dams.org

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On How Obama’s Supreme Court Choice Says Everything (Bad) About His Presidency

Nothing has epitomised the presidency of Barack Obama quite like his Supreme Court nominees. Time and again, Republican presidents will blithely nominate right wing ideological extremists (Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas) who only sometimes misfire and turn out to be liberals in disguise (David Souter). Yet Obama has consistently skipped over the judicially qualified liberals and gone for a succession of centrists... More>>

ALSO:

Turkey: UN Secretary-General On The Terrorist Bombing In Ankara

The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack in Ankara earlier today. According to the latest reports, the explosion in the Kizilay district killed and wounded dozens of people. More>>

ALSO:

Five Years On: Fukushima And New Zealand

Science Media Centre: It was the worst nuclear event since Chernobyl. In the wake of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, a crippled Japanese nuclear powerplant went into meltdown, and the world watched as emergency workers scrambled to shut down and contain the reactors. More>>

ALSO:

UNICEF: 1 In 3 Syrian Children Has Grown Up Knowing Only Crisis

An estimated 3.7 million Syrian children – 1 in 3 of all Syrian children - have been born since the conflict began five years ago, their lives shaped by violence, fear and displacement, according to a UNICEF report. This figure includes more than 151,000 children born as refugees since 2011. More>>

ALSO:

Franklin Lamb: Syria’s Truce Bodes Well For Salvaging Our Cultural Heritage

The tentative cessation of hostilities in Syria, which came into effect on 2/28/2016, brokered by Washington and Moscow, is only in its second week... It is well documented that there have been daily incidents of artillery shelling, airstrikes and clashes. Yet, for the nearly 12 million displaced civilians, half of Syria’s population, it’s a much welcomed respite. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Rubio’s Last Stand (And Sleater-Kinney)

Well, it certainly was entertaining to watch Rubio succeed in getting under Donald Trump’s skin the other day, in the last debate before tomorrow’s Super Tuesday multi-state sweepstakes... The real killer for Rubio was that the most recent poll from Florida which shows him losing his home state to Trump by a huge margin in the primary due on March 15. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news