Israeli forces continue systematic attacks against civilians
Israeli forces continue systematic attacks against Palestinian civilians and property in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt)
• An old Palestinian man died due to tear gas inhalation in Kofur Qaddoum village, northeast of Qalqilia.
• An old Palestinian man died as Israeli forces hindered his passage at a military checkpoint at the entrance of Ya'bad village, southwest of Jenin.
• Israeli forces have continued to use excessive force against peaceful protesters in the West Bank.
- 8 demonstrators were wounded in Bil'in, an-Nabi Saleh and Selwad weekly protests in Ramallah.
- Of the wounded were 3 children, 2 women and 2 photojournalists.
- A child was wounded in Ayda refugee camp, north of Bethlehem.
• Israeli forces launched 2 airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, but no casualties were reported.
• Israeli forces conducted 53 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank.
- At least 40 Palestinians, including 18 children, were arrested.
- Contents of a house in the old town of Hebron were completely burnt as a tear gas canister fell inside.
• Israel has continued to impose a total closure on the oPt and has isolated the Gaza Strip from the outside world.
- Israeli forces established dozens of checkpoints in the West Bank.
- At least 16 Palestinian civilians, including 4 children, were arrested at checkpoints in the West Bank.
• Israeli navy forces have continued targeting Palestinian fishermen in the sea.
- Israeli naval forces opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats in the northern Gaza Strip, but no casualties were reported.
- Israeli forces have continued to support settlement activities in the West Bank and Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian civilians and property.
- 3 dunums of agricultural lands were levelled and 450 guava, lemon and pomegranate trees were uprooted, south of Qalqilia.
- A child from Deir Istiya village, northwest of Salfit, was run down by a settler's vehicle.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (26 December 2013 – 01 January 2014).
During the reporting period, an old Palestinian man from Kofur Qaddoum, northeast of Qalqilia, died due to tear gas inhalation when Israeli forces moved into the village and fired tear gas canisters. In addition, another elderly passed away in Jenin when Israeli forces stationed at a military checkpoint at the entrance of Ya'bad village, southwest of Jenin, hindered his passage to a hospital in the city. Also during the reporting period, Israeli forces wounded 9 Palestinian civilians, including 4 children, 2 women and 2 photojournalists, 8 of whom were wounded during peaceful protests, while the 9th was wounded during a protest organized at the northern entrance of Ayda refugee camp, north of Bethlehem, but he did not participate in the protest. In the Gaza Strip, Israeli forces launched 2 airstrikes, opened fire at the east of Jabalia, in the northern Gaza Strip, and opened fire also at Palestinian fishing boats, but no casualties were reported at all.
Israeli forces continued the systematic use of excessive force against peaceful protests organised by Palestinian, Israeli and international activists against the construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities in the West. As a result, 8 protestors, including 3 children, 2 women and 2 photojournalists, were wounded.
On 31 December 2013, a 14-year-old child from Ayda refugee camp, north of Bethlehem, was wounded by a rubber-coated metal bullet to the right leg while he was playing around. He was taken to Beit Jala Hospital, where his wound was described as moderate.
The full report is available online.