South Sudan civil society groups calls for mediation
Civil Society calls for International support to IGAD mediation role December 31st, 2013 (Juba), We in the civil society organisations in and outside South Sudan calls for international (AU and UNSC) support to IGAD mediation role in the current conflict caused by attempted coup on December 15th by forces loyal to Riek Machar.
The coup attempt has brought much destruction and anarchy to the country beyond any imagination. We’re shocked, saddened and couldn’t believe an aspiring leader such as Dr. Riek could cause such destruction to a country he says ‘he loves and hopes to rule’.
This war has affected South Sudanese regardless of ethnicity or region and we urge the international Community to pressure Dr. Riek to cease hostilities and come to negotiating table without pre-conditions.
We also call up on the international community, to condemn in the strongest terms possible, the indiscriminate killings of South Sudanese people because of their ethnicity by forces loyal to Dr. Riek Machar.
How AU and UNSC can support IGAD mediation role.
1. Condemn the coup attempt and eventual rebellion
2. Pressure Dr. Riek Machar to negotiate in-good faith and without preconditions
3. Rebels forces to withdraw from towns & villages occupied
4. Support IGAD mediation role materially and morally
5. Caution politicians who make inflammatory remarks to incite ethnic hatred In conclusion, we in the civil society organisations hereby request international community to condemn the coup and indiscriminate killing of civilians by unlawful armed groups in greater Upper Nile region.