World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Apologies and reparations for Batang Kali

Colonialism Reparation supports the request for apologies and compensations of the victim’s families committee for the Batang Kali’s massacre and calls on the United Kingdom to apologize and pay compensation to Malaysia for the colonial period.

On December 12 1948, during the so-called Malayan Emergency, a patrol of the British army surrounded a rubber plantation in Sunga Rimoh by the Batang Kali river massacring all men although they were unarmed (24 people, the only survivor was considered dead) and then setting fire to the village.

In 1949 a first inquiry of the British army exonerated all the soldiers involved.

In 1970 a second inquiry by the British police was aborted for lack of evidence after Foreign Office officials intervened.

In 1997 a third inquiry of the Malaysian police was aborted for lack of evidence as a result of pressure from the British Government.

In 2011 the requests of the High Court in London for the judicial hearing of the Mau Mau tortured by the British army brought to light that many documents of the time were kept secret. As a result, the so-called migrated Archives were made public at last.

On September 4 2012 the High Court in London ruled that it would be very difficult to establish nowwhether the Batang Kali massacre had been deliberate and the use of force by the British army had been disproportionate.

On November 26 2013 the appeal process promoted by the victim’s families Committee for the Batang Kali’s massacre begun.

Colonialism Reparation supports the request for apologies and compensations of the victim’s families committee for the Batang Kali’s massacre and calls on the United Kingdom, together with Portugal and Netherlands, to apologize and pay compensation to Malaysia for the whole colonial period.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gaza: Worst And Bloodiest Day Since The Beginning Of The Offensive

• Mass Killings in al-Shuja'iya Neighborhood in Gaza and Dozens of Dismembered Bodies Are in the Streets; More>>

ALSO:

Russia: Lack Of Access At Crash Site Of MH17

We are deeply concerned by the Russia-backed separatists’ refusal to allow OSCE monitors safe and unfettered access to the crash site of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17. Yesterday, the monitors were allowed only 75 minutes at the site. Today, they ... More>>

ALSO:

Syria: Palestinians In Refugee Camp 'will Likely Go Hungry'

Unable for more than a month now to deliver food and other supplies to Palestinians trapped in a refugee camp near Damascus, the United Nations agency tasked with ensuring their well-being said today it is urgently seeking to resume its humanitarian activities, ... More>>

Al Jazeera: Egypt Verdict Defies Logic And Any Semblance Of Justice

Following today’s verdict in Cairo, Al Jazeera English managing director Al Anstey said: “Today three colleagues and friends were sentenced, and will continue behind bars for doing a brilliant job of being great journalists. More>>

Papua New Guinea: Indonesian Troops Fire On PNG Soldiers Along Border

Indonesian troops have opened fire on a PNG Defence Force border patrol, increasing further tension at the Papua New Guinea-Indonesia border. The flare-up at the border compelled the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Immigration to summon the Indonesian ... More>>

World News: Internet Well On Way To 3 Billion Users - UN Telecom Agency

Releasing new statistics today, the United Nations International Telecommunications Union (ITU) announced that by end 2014, there will be nearly three billion Internet users – two-thirds of them from the developing world – with mobile-broadband ... More>>

Syria: Gunfire Impedes Food Delivery To Palestinian Refugees

Gunfire stopped distribution of food today in a besieged Palestinian refugee camp, a United Nations spokesperson confirmed today, reiterating demands that the UN agency assisting Palestinian refugees be allowed to safely and without interruption distribute ... More>>

Ukraine: Ban Welcomes Release Of Abducted Military Observers

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the release earlier today of European military monitors and accompanying Ukrainian staff abducted a week ago in the country's crisis-torn eastern region, even as he expressed sadness at the loss of life... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news