World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


CAR: Displaced people continue to arrive in Bangui

09-01-2014 Operational Update No 14/01

For the past 10 days, thousands of Bangui residents have been taking refuge at sites set up for displaced people in the capital, joining hundreds of thousands uprooted since 5 December. The ICRC and the Central African Red Cross Society have boosted their emergency response activities.

Almost 7,000 people who have taken refuge near the Padre Pio religious community and the St Marc major seminary, south of the capital, have been given maize, beans, salt and cooking oil. "These people recently fled the violence, leaving almost everything they had behind," said Georgios Georgantas, head of the ICRC delegation in the Central African Republic. "They are having a very hard time meeting even their most basic needs."

More than 100,000 people at an airport site and 30,000 near the Boy-Rabe monastery are receiving water from the ICRC every day. "The water improves their daily life, but hygiene conditions remain very poor overall," said Mr Georgantas.

"On the outskirts of the airport, where the greatest concentration of displaced people is to be found, we've been working since the crisis erupted on 5 December, despite the unsettled security conditions, to cope with the steady flow of displaced people who continue to arrive each and every day," he said. "The priority is to find quick and efficient ways of providing them with greater quantities of safe drinking water and better sanitation."

A surgical team has been sent to the community hospital, where large numbers of casualties are being admitted every day. "The aim is to treat patients with violence-related injuries and perform emergency operations," said surgeon Essam El Sayed, whose team has operated on some 30 patients since 4 January. "We are admitting everyone who requires medical attention and providing them with care. Treatment is prioritized on the sole basis of the severity of the injuries."

The ICRC has re-opened the hospital's trauma ward, which had been inactive, to expand capacity. "The needs are enormous," said Dr El Sayed. "All of the ward's 26 beds are already occupied, and we are planning to add even more, for the intensive care unit in particular."

In parallel with these efforts, the ICRC and the Central African Red Cross continue to administer first aid. In addition, over the past few days they took 18 sick people, including six expectant mothers and nine children, and some 20 casualties to the community hospital or Castor maternity hospital, the only two health-care facilities still functioning in Bangui.

This week, ICRC staff are providing support for the national vaccination campaign against measles and polio at two sites in Bangui where a total of more than 23,000 displaced people have gathered. Over a three-day period, 8,500 young people will be immunized against the diseases.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

The White House: Charting A New Course On Cuba

We are separated by 90 miles of water, but brought together through the relationships between the two million Cubans and Americans of Cuban descent that live in the United States, and the 11 million Cubans who share similar hopes for a more positive future for Cuba. More>>

ALSO:


Journalist Most Recent Victim Of Israeli Military

Bashar, a journalist from Palestine TV, was shot in the left leg at Kufr Qaddum on Friday the 5th of December 2014. More>>

ALSO:

  • Palestinian Centre For Human Rights - Swiss government’s bid to convene a summit on Palestine
  • UN News - UN-backed reconstruction efforts continue in Gaza
  • UNICEF Mobilizes To Reach People Affected By Typhoon

    As Typhoon Hagupit wreaks havoc through the Philippines, UNICEF is acting quickly to support the Filipino government’s response to the emergency, providing lifesaving supplies and services for children and women in the areas hardest hit by cyclone-force ... More>>

    ALSO:

  • FAO - FAO praises government for early typhoon warnings
  • Security Council Demands End To LRA Attacks In Africa

    A Congolese refugee at an emergency school in Obo, Haut-Mbomou, Central African Republic, (CAR) after fleeing attacks by the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA). Photo: OCHA/Lauren Paletta More>>

    UN Condemns Botswana’s Treatment Of Bushmen

    The UN Special Rapporteur on cultural rights has voiced concerns over Botswana's evictions of the Bushmen in the name of wildlife conservation. The United Nations’ Special Rapporteur on cultural rights has condemned Botswana’s treatment of Africa’s ... More>>

    UN Congratulates Frontline Ebola Response Workers

    10 December 2014 – The United Nations today congratulated the front line workers in the field battling Ebola on their well-deserved recognition as Time “Person of the Year,” while countries affected by the outbreak and their partners met to ... More>>

    ALSO:

    World United States: US Must Now Recover Moral High Ground In Torture Allegations

    Mr. Juan Mendez, Special Rapporteur on Torture, Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. UN Photo/Rick Bajornas More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news