World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Ukraine: Activist Leader Missing

Third Such Disappearance In One Week

January 26, 2014

(Kiev) – One of the leaders of Kiev’s protest movement has been missing since January 22, 2014. Dmitri Bulatov, 35, is the third protest activist who has disappeared in the past week. Human Rights Watch called on Ukrainian authorities to urgently undertake a thorough investigation to locate him and ensure his safety and well-being.

“We are gravely concerned about Dmitri Bulatov’s life and safety,” said Yulia Gorbunova, Ukraineresearcher at Human Rights Watch. “Bulatov is one of the leaders of the protest movement and had been threatened in recent weeks. There is every reason to believe his disappearance is related to his activism.”

On January 23, police arbitrarily detained another activist – a volunteer for the protest movement’s medical service – took all her personal belongings, and dumped her in a forest outside Kiev, sparking concern police could also be involved in Bulatov’s disappearance. On January 21, unknown assailants kidnapped and beat two other prominent protest activists, Ihor Lutsenko and Yuri Verbitsky. The assailants released Lutsenko, who is being hospitalized for his injuries. Verbitsky’s body was found on January 22.

Bulatov is one of the leaders of AutoMaidan, which is part of the protest movement on Kiev’s Independence Square, known as Maidan. AutoMaidan organizes convoys of motorists who organised rallies and patrolled the city to protect protesters at Independence Square and other areas from pro-government provocateurs.

A lawyer representing Bulatov’s family, Dmitri Yovdi, told Human Rights Watch that the last contact Bulatov’s friends and family had from him was on January 23 at around 7 p.m. local time, when he told his wife he was going to a meeting. Another friend saw him last around 2 p.m. when he was leaving home, headed toward the outskirts of Kiev. Friends and relatives tried calling him until early hours of the next morning, when his cell phone number ceased working. His car is also missing.

On January 24, police broke up a convoy of AutoMaidan activists in their cars, smashing the vehicles and detaining 12 activists on suspicion of mass rioting charges; they were all remanded to pretrial custody by a court. Bulatov was not among those detained.

One of the AutoMaidan activists who spoke with Human Rights Watch said the activists, including Bulatov, had been receiving SMS threats for weeks, including messages such as “Do you want do die?” The other activist said that in recent weeks police wanted to question Bulatov as a witness to mass rioting.

Police had summoned Bulatov twice for questioning in connection with AutoMaidan activities. In December 2013, they wanted to question him regarding clashes on December 1, when AutoMaidan organized a motorists’ rally in the area where many government buildings are located. They changed their minds several days later, when an amnesty law entered into force that covered protest-related actions.

On January 14, 2014, police questioned Bulatov as a witness to a protest that had taken place on January 10 and also about the December 1, 2013 clashes. No charges were pressed against him.

In a separate incident, on January 23, 2014, police detained Oleksandra Khailak, a 22-year-old female student who had been working in the protest movement’s volunteer medical service, at Kiev’s train station as she was headed home. According to the coordinator of the volunteer medical service, Oleg Musiy, police asked her to show her identity documents, and when she did, her National Resistance Headquarters’ medical service pass fell out.

According to Musiy, police said, “Aha, you worked on Maidan?” and called for more police. They twisted her arms behind her back, put her in a civilian car, and took her to three different police stations, where no officials wanted to book her. They also confiscated her personal belongings, including her asthma inhaler. At one point the woman had an asthma attack, prompting the police to take her to a hospital.

Musiy told Human Rights Watch police eventually drove the woman to a forest outside Kiev, and left her there. They did not return her purse, identity documents, train ticket, and money, saying “You can go look for it at police stations.” After an hour of wandering in the area she was eventually able to find help.

“When police grab an activist and dump her in a forest, it adds to our fears that they might have done the same with Bulatov,” Gorbunova said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Death Of Fidel Castro

New Zealand likes to think we played our part – via the 1981 Springbok tour – in bringing the apartheid regime in South Africa to an end… Jacob Zuma treated the death of Fidel Castro at the weekend as an occasion to pay a heartfelt tribute to the thousands of Cuban soldiers who travelled across the world to inflict the first significant military defeat on the forces of white supremacy. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The US Election Home Stretch

Once again at the business end of a US election, the result will hinge on the same old bits of geography as always: the Five Crucial Counties in Ohio, the Two Crucial Counties in Pennsylvania and the I-4 Interstate Corridor in Florida that runs from Tampa Bay through Orlando to Daytona Beach. More>>

ALSO:

Meanwhile:

Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>

ALSO:

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news