World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Blue Helmets in Congo on Standby after Blast in Arms Depot

UN 'Blue Helmets' in DR Congo on Standby after Blast in Arms Depot

New York, Jan 25 2014 - The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is standing by to support local authorities following an explosion at an ammunition depot.

The blast occurred on Friday when a lightning strike apparently sparked a fire in a military barrack in Mbuji Mayi, one of the DRC's largest cities.

"Over 20 people died, more than 50 were injured and many houses destroyed by the blast, causing desolation in the city," according to today's statement from the UN peacekeeping mission known by its French acronym, MONUSCO.

MONUSCO head and Special Representative of the Secretary-General, Martin Kobler, expressed his deep sadness by the loss of lives and extended his condolences to the families who lost loved ones.

"I wish a speedy recovery to all the injured," he said, adding "I have instructed our office in Mbuji Mayi to stand by and support local authorities in dealing with the situation".

One of the main objectives of MONUSCO peacekeepers, also known as "blue helmets", as mandated by the Security Council, is to assist the Government in protecting civilians in the country.

In a Newsmaker interview with the UN News Centre earlier this month, Mr. Kobler stressed the importance of a political solution to addressing the underlying causes of violence in the DRC and the overall Great Lakes region.

"The region of the Great Lakes has to integrate more economically above all for the benefit of all populations in the different countries," he said. "Everybody has to be convinced that stability, economic integration, regional political integration, confidence-building between the States -- this is the right way to go in the long-term."

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:


Iraq: Killing Of Dozens Of Sunni Worshippers In Eastern Iraq

22 August 2014 – Condemning in the strongest terms the reported attack on a mosque in eastern Iraq, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all Iraqi authorities to ensure that the attack is properly investigated and its perpetrators held to account. More>>

ALSO:

  • UN Watch - UN Urgent Session on Iraq, Demands "Concrete Outcomes"
  • UNICEF: Honours Life, Tireless Work Of Richard Attenborough

    Film producer and director Sir Richard Attenborough was introduced as the new Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) on 28 October 1987. UN Photo/Milton Grant More>>

    UN: Flight Restrictions Hamper Ability To Battle Ebola

    UNICEF and partners visit a crowded market in Conakry, Guinea, to explain to vendors how they can protect themselves and their families from Ebola. Photo: UNICEF Guinea More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news