World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Delivers Aid to Displaced Libyans in the South

UN Delivers Aid to Displaced Libyans in the South, Urges End to Violence

New York, Jan 26 2014 - The United Nations in Libya is preparing to deliver in the next 48 hours more food, medicines and other supplies to displaced families in Sabha, in the southern part of the country, the top UN humanitarian official in the country said expressing concern about the ongoing violence.

UN Humanitarian Coordinator Georg Charpentier "appeals to all sides to end violence and guarantee the protection of civilians," according to a news release from his office.

He also "calls on all parties to allow for the unimpeded delivery of humanitarian support and ensure that assistance is provided in an equitable manner".

Earlier this month, Tripoli declared a state of emergency in the southern region where fighting has displaced hundreds of families, mainly within the Sabha area.

"As a result of the clashes, the South is suffering from shortages of food supplies, medicine, fuel, and money in the banks," the office of the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Libya, Georg Charpentier, said in

Hospitals in Sabha, Awbari and Murzuk have been challenged to treat all casualties, according to the release.

Along with the relief assistance, a UN team will also meet with representatives of the population, listen to their grievances and support the ongoing humanitarian efforts, said Mr. Charpentier.

The UN's Libya mission (UNSMIL) had voiced "deep concern" over the violence in the south of the country.

The Mission and the UN team in the country have been supporting the Libyan Government and people as they undergo a democratic transition following the toppling of former leader Muammar al-Qadhafi two years ago. Recent months have seen increasing acts of violence and worsening security, including the abduction -- and subsequent release -- of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, the killing of unarmed protesters in the capital, Tripoli, and targeted assassinations in Benghazi.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Aftermath Of Brexit

Be careful of what you ask for. Now that it has woken up from its Brexit victory hangover, is Britain acting as if it has just won the World Cup? Hardly. More>>

ALSO:

UK Labour Statement: The Shooting Of MP Jo Cox

Jeremy Corbyn MP, Leader of the Labour Party said: “The whole of the Labour Party and Labour family - and indeed the whole country - will be in shock at the horrific murder of Jo Cox today. Jo had a lifelong record of public service and a deep commitment to humanity." More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Rainbow Colours On MFC In Sympathy For Florida Killings
Wellington’s Michael Fowler Centre will be lit in colours of the rainbow Monday as a gesture of support for the LGBTI victims of the Pulse nightclub attack in Orlando, Florida. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On How Obama’s Supreme Court Choice Says Everything (Bad) About His Presidency

Nothing has epitomised the presidency of Barack Obama quite like his Supreme Court nominees. Time and again, Republican presidents will blithely nominate right wing ideological extremists (Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas) who only sometimes misfire and turn out to be liberals in disguise (David Souter). Yet Obama has consistently skipped over the judicially qualified liberals and gone for a succession of centrists... More>>

ALSO:

Turkey: UN Secretary-General On The Terrorist Bombing In Ankara

The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack in Ankara earlier today. According to the latest reports, the explosion in the Kizilay district killed and wounded dozens of people. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news