World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Authorizes EU Force in Central African Republic

Security Council Authorizes EU Force, New Sanctions Regime in Central African Republic

New York, Jan 28 2014 - Seriously concerned by widespread human rights violations and the “increasing cycle of violence and retaliation” in the Central African Republic (CAR), the Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations peacebuilding office in the country, authorized the use of force by European Union troops, and added travel bans and asset freezes to an arms embargo already in place.

The 15-member Council unanimously adopted a new resolution expressing deep concern at the “continuing deterioration of the security situation in the CAR” which it said is characterized by a “total breakdown in law and order, the absence of the rule of law, religiously motivated targeted killings and arson.”

By the txt, the Council extended the mandate of the UN Integrated Peacebuilding Office in the CAR (BINUCA) through 31 January 2015, to support for the implementation of the transition process by expediting the re-establishment of constitutional order and implementing the 2013 Libreville agreements which resulted in a temporary ceasefire and created a unity Government in which opposition figures were given key posts.

The rebels claimed the Government failed to live up to its commitments, and the conflict reignited resulting in thousands of people killed in the past 10 months in violence that has recently taken on increasingly sectarian overtones, with mainly Christian militias, known as anti-Balaka (anti-machete), taking up arms against an alliance of mainly Muslim rebel groups – known, collectively, as ‘Séléka.’

Included in today’s resolution is a call on CAR’s transitional government, led by newly appointed Catherine Samba-Panza, the former mayor of the capital city of Bangui, to speed up, with BINUCA’s support, progress towards “free and fair” elections. Those are to be held not later than February 2015, and if possible, in the second half of 2014.

The Council members also called for the holding of national dialogue, in close coordination with the UN office, to promote reconciliation.

Included also in BINUCA’s mandate is support for conflict prevention and humanitarian assistance, and promotion and protection of human rights.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, supported by the UN human rights office and other UN entities, has described the human suffering in the country as “a crisis of epic proportions.”

Brutality against children in the CAR has reaching unprecedented levels as youngsters are maimed, killed and beheaded, and amid rampant sexual violence, the world community must use all the tools at its disposal to stop the conflict, the Security Council was warned last week by UN Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict Leila Zerrougui.

The Council also today authorized a new international push in CAR, authorizing European troops to deploy an operation for an initial six months “to take all necessary measures” which in Security Council language translates to allowing the troops to use force.

Member States, including CAR’s neighbours, are requested to support the EU action, in particular by facilitating personnel, equipment, provisions, supplies and other goods, vehicles and spare parts intended by these troops.

The Council last month authorized an African-led and French-backed peacekeeping force to quell the spiralling violence known by its French acronym MISCA.

Among positive steps taken by the mission in recent weeks has been aiding UN agencies secure humanitarian access.

The UN World Food Programme (WFP) today said that its first convoy of food supplies reached the capital as a result of good cooperation between “MISCA, Cameroon and CAR officials,” according to WFP Regional Director for West Africa, Denise Brown.

Ten trucks carrying WFP food – 250 metric tons of rice and maize meal – arrived in Bangui on Monday, after a 600-kilometre journey from the Cameroon border. The trucks were part of a 60-vehicle convoy escorted by MISCA troops.

Another 41 commercial trucks carrying WFP cereals are still stranded at the Cameroonian border, along with hundreds of other vehicles, the UN agency said.

Today’s Security Council resolution also allows for an initial one-year travel embargo and a freeze of financial assets as targeting measures, but does not specify names or group affiliations to be sanctioned.

The Council, which had considered imposing targeted measures, including travel bans and assets freezes, in December, today decided that all Member States “shall take the necessary measures to prevent the entry into or transit through their territories” of the individuals.

It also decided that States “freeze, without delay all funds, other financial assets and economic resources which are on their territories, which are owned or controlled, directly or indirectly” by the individuals or entities.

In December 2013, the Council unanimously adopted a resolution imposing several measures including a year-long embargo on the supply of arms, military equipment and related assistance to non-state actors in the CAR.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news