World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Philippines: $33m Needed for Earthquake Survivors in Bohol

Philippines: UN Says $33 Million Required To Cover Basic Needs for Earthquake Survivors in Bohol

New York, Feb 6 2014 - Nearly four months after a massive earthquake devastated parts of Bohol Island, the top United Nations relief official in the Philippines is calling on donors to provide an additional $19 million for urgent shelter needs, as well as health, education and early recovery efforts in the affected areas.

“We are continuing to support the authorities’ efforts on many fronts and will not forget the plight of people affected in Bohol,” said UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Luiza Carvalho today as she noted that since the 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit Bohol on 15 October last year, Philippines authorities and humanitarian partners have contended with a series of disasters, including Super Typhoon Haiyan, which struck the archipelago almost exactly one month later on 8 November 2013.

The UN Humanitarian Country Team released its revised action plan today, noting that donors have already provided $15.1 million toward humanitarians’ six-month joint action plan for Bohol covering the six months from the time of the earthquake to 15 April.

“Local and national non-governmental organizations are playing a key role in the Bohol response, and this is reflected in the revised action plan,” said Ms. Carvalho. “Two new national non-governmental organizations and five new local organizations have included projects in the revised plan. They all have the capacity to implement the projects in Bohol. But they urgently need funding to succeed.”

According to the UN, most of the nearly 368,000 people whose homes were damaged or destroyed in the earthquake are still living in their damaged houses or in tents nearby. With aftershocks still common, shelter assistance is urgently needed to help people out of these unsafe conditions. Landslides and aftershocks push them out of the house and into the tents, while flooding and heavy rains drive them back into unsafe homes.

Students are back to school with almost 100 per cent attendance, but 839 classrooms are in temporary learning spaces, pending the rebuilding of structures.

The requested funding for the revised Bohol action plan is $33.8 million, compared to $46.8 million in the original plan announced this past October. With the emergency now in a recovery phase, the UN reduced the funding request in line with the current outstanding needs, following detailed assessments by stakeholders and consultations with the Government. Targeted support of the Bohol humanitarian actors will complement the early recovery capacities of the provincial government.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:


Iraq: Killing Of Dozens Of Sunni Worshippers In Eastern Iraq

22 August 2014 – Condemning in the strongest terms the reported attack on a mosque in eastern Iraq, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all Iraqi authorities to ensure that the attack is properly investigated and its perpetrators held to account. More>>

ALSO:

  • UN Watch - UN Urgent Session on Iraq, Demands "Concrete Outcomes"
  • UNICEF: Honours Life, Tireless Work Of Richard Attenborough

    Film producer and director Sir Richard Attenborough was introduced as the new Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) on 28 October 1987. UN Photo/Milton Grant More>>

    UN: Flight Restrictions Hamper Ability To Battle Ebola

    UNICEF and partners visit a crowded market in Conakry, Guinea, to explain to vendors how they can protect themselves and their families from Ebola. Photo: UNICEF Guinea More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news