World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Philippines: ICRC agree on recovery plan for survivors

Philippines: International Red Cross Movement meets to agree on long term recovery plan for Typhoon Haiyan survivors

Manila - Almost one hundred days since Typhoon Haiyan (locally known as Yolanda) devastated the Visayas region of central Philippines, senior representatives of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement meet in Manila from February 12-13 to discuss future support to victims of the typhoon.

‘The conference gives us the chance to reflect on all that we have achieved in the current emergency and how to enhance future cooperation between partners in the Movement as we help communities recover over the next few years,’ says Philippine Red Cross Chairman, Richard Gordon, adding, ‘We still have so much work to do. Now that the emergency relief phase is ending, we are committed to supporting 350,000 needy people to rebuild and recover their livelihoods’.

In the three months since Haiyan tore through the region, Philippine Red Cross, together with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) have between them distributed emergency relief, including food, shelter items, water and cash to more than 1 million people.

Jagan Chapagain, Director of the IFRC’s Asia Pacific zone office, welcomed the close cooperation between Red Cross and Red Crescent partners in the emergency phase of the Haiyan operation.

‘Since day one, the Philippine Red Cross response to this disaster has been truly inspiring,’ he said. ‘They have been at the forefront of relief efforts. Their years of experience and their investment in disaster management prove that preparedness really pays when this kind of tragedy strikes.’

A recent Red Cross assessment of the typhoon-affected area found that many communities starting to recover are being held back by pre-existing levels of poverty. The assessment team recommended that to have a greater impact, recovery work needs to focus on livelihoods and shelter.

“Communities have shown extraordinary resolve in rebuilding their lives after this disaster, which has decimated thousands of livelihoods,” said Alain Aeschlimann, the ICRC’s head of operations for Asia and the Pacific. “We are seeking to help the most vulnerable, often located in more remote, inaccessible areas where aid does not always easily reach, through early recovery programs aimed at getting them back on their feet again."

In total, 8,500 Philippine Red Cross staff and volunteers from across the country have played different roles in the relief effort - packing and distributing relief supplies, providing emergency first aid and preventing disease, as well as clearing debris and reuniting family members separated by the disaster.

Representatives from the IFRC, ICRC and 33 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies are participating in the Manila summit. The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement have collectively raised over 300 million Swiss Francs (USD 334.4 million) so far for the Typhoon Haiyan response.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

South Sudan: UN Agencies Reach More Than Half A Million

South Sudan: UN Agencies Reach More than Half a Million People with Life-Saving Aid More>>

Israeli Plans To Expand Its Illegal Settlement Enterprises

PLO Executive Committee member, Dr. Hanan Ashrawi, strongly denounced Israeli plans to expand its illegal settlement enterprise by approving the construction of 2,561 units in the settlement of Givat Hamatos. More>>

ALSO:

Ecuador: Villagers Plan To Seize Chevron's $106M Arbitral Award

QUITO, ECUADOR, Sep. 30 /CSRwire/ - In what could be a huge boost to their campaign to force Chevron to comply with a $9.5 billion environmental judgment in Ecuador, rainforest villagers plan to enforce a court order directing them to take possession ... More>>

World Grossly Ill-Prepared To Deal Ebola Outbreak

Leaders from Sierra Leone and Liberia, the two countries, along with Guinea at the frontlines of the battle against the unprecedented Ebola outbreak in West Africa, urged the General Assembly today ensure the United Nations mounted a stronger, better coordinated response “to end this grave threat to our collective survival.”More>>

ALSO:

  • Save The Children - Save the Children Builds Its First Ebola Treatment Centre


  • Israel’s Netanyahu Warns Against ‘Militant Islam’

    29 September 2014 – From the podium of the General Assembly today Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned the world of the grave threat he said it faced from militant Islam’s desire to dominate the planet, be they Sunni extremists or ... More>>

    Deputy PM of Syria Victims Of ISIL Brutality 'Waiting On Us To Act'

    As the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militant began carrying their slaughter in the Middle East, “they might have surprised many of the countries present here, but not…us,” the Deputy Prime Minister of Syria told the United Nations General Assembly, underscoring today that the time has come for the world to stand united and tackle the threat head-on.More>>

    Not A Single Child Untouched By Recent Gaza Conflict

    There is not a single child who has not been adversely affected by the recent conflict in Gaza, where children suffer from bedwetting, difficulties in sleeping, nightmares, a loss of appetite, and display more aggressive behaviour at school, an independent United Nations human rights expert said todayMore>>


    Ebola: UN Readies To Start Work As Death Toll Surpasses 3,000

    Ebola response: medical supplies, including protective equipment and essential medicine, are loaded onto trucks at the Lungi International Airport in Freetown, capital of Sierra Leone. Photo: UNICEF/Sulaiman Stephens More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news