World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


South Sudan: Adherence to Recent Ceasefire Necessary

Ban Welcomes Start of South Sudan Political Talks, Urges Adherence to Recent Ceasefire

New York, Feb 12 2014 - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the start yesterday of the South Sudan political talks between the Government and the opposition, and stressed the need for the parties to adhere to the ceasefire signed last month.

Thousands of people are believed to have been killed and some 870,000 others have fled their homes, 145,000 of them to neighbouring countries and 75,000 to United Nations bases within the country, since fighting broke out on 15 December between the forces of President Salva Kiir and former deputy president Riek Machar.

The political talks between the Government of South Sudan and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army (SPLM/A) in opposition, are taking place in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, under the auspices of the East African regional body known as the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

“The Secretary-General reiterates the importance of national political dialogue, with the participation of all South Sudanese political and civil society representatives, including all senior SPLM detainees,” Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement.

The spokesperson added that the Secretary-General notes with deep concern the reports of ongoing fighting and skirmishes in parts of Unity and Upper Nile states and that he reiterates the need for the parties to fully implement the Agreements on Cessation of Hostilities and on the Status of Detainees signed on 23 January.

“The Secretary-General also calls on all parties to respect the lifesaving work and ensure unhindered freedom of movement of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and of all humanitarian workers,” said the statement.

In addition, Mr. Ban condemned the use in the South Sudan conflict of cluster bombs, remnants of which were found last week by the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS), on the Juba-Bor road in Jonglei state.

UNMAS has deployed a clearance team specialized in unexploded ordnance (UXO) in Bor to support the Mission’s role in facilitating access. The team, which arrived on 5 February, was requested to ensure that compounds and buildings used by international stakeholders are free from explosive remnants of war and small arms ammunition removed.

The Mission added in an update today that four UNMAS teams are traveling to Bentiu by road to clear unexploded remnants of war in the capital as well as other areas in northern Unity state. The teams have different capacities, to clear UXOs, landmines, survey roads and provide risk education to affected population.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On How Obama’s Supreme Court Choice Says Everything (Bad) About His Presidency

Nothing has epitomised the presidency of Barack Obama quite like his Supreme Court nominees. Time and again, Republican presidents will blithely nominate right wing ideological extremists (Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas) who only sometimes misfire and turn out to be liberals in disguise (David Souter). Yet Obama has consistently skipped over the judicially qualified liberals and gone for a succession of centrists... More>>

ALSO:

Turkey: UN Secretary-General On The Terrorist Bombing In Ankara

The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack in Ankara earlier today. According to the latest reports, the explosion in the Kizilay district killed and wounded dozens of people. More>>

ALSO:

Five Years On: Fukushima And New Zealand

Science Media Centre: It was the worst nuclear event since Chernobyl. In the wake of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, a crippled Japanese nuclear powerplant went into meltdown, and the world watched as emergency workers scrambled to shut down and contain the reactors. More>>

ALSO:

UNICEF: 1 In 3 Syrian Children Has Grown Up Knowing Only Crisis

An estimated 3.7 million Syrian children – 1 in 3 of all Syrian children - have been born since the conflict began five years ago, their lives shaped by violence, fear and displacement, according to a UNICEF report. This figure includes more than 151,000 children born as refugees since 2011. More>>

ALSO:

Franklin Lamb: Syria’s Truce Bodes Well For Salvaging Our Cultural Heritage

The tentative cessation of hostilities in Syria, which came into effect on 2/28/2016, brokered by Washington and Moscow, is only in its second week... It is well documented that there have been daily incidents of artillery shelling, airstrikes and clashes. Yet, for the nearly 12 million displaced civilians, half of Syria’s population, it’s a much welcomed respite. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Rubio’s Last Stand (And Sleater-Kinney)

Well, it certainly was entertaining to watch Rubio succeed in getting under Donald Trump’s skin the other day, in the last debate before tomorrow’s Super Tuesday multi-state sweepstakes... The real killer for Rubio was that the most recent poll from Florida which shows him losing his home state to Trump by a huge margin in the primary due on March 15. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news