World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Syria: More Aid Gets to Besieged Homs As More Evacuees Leave

Syria: More Aid Gets Into Besieged Homs As More Evacuees Leave, UN Reports

New York, Feb 12 2014 - More relief moved in today for Syrians trapped in the Old City of Homs for nearly two years without aid, and more evacuees moved out, as Government and opposition delegates met in Geneva in United Nations-sponsored talks seeking to end the bloody conflict.

UN-Arab League Joint Special Representative Lakhdar Brahimi, who yesterday said scant progress was being made in the talks which he is mediating, today met both delegations simultaneously, but made no statement afterwards.

Tomorrow, he will hold a joint meeting with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov and United States Under-Secretary of State Wendy Sherman in a bid to speed up the talks, which the two countries initiated in a diplomatic push to end a war that has killed well over 100,000 people and driven nearly 9 million others from their homes since it erupted between President Bashar al-Assad and various groups seeking his ouster nearly three years ago.

On the humanitarian front, food for around 1,000 people for one month was delivered to community leaders inside the Old City of Homs under a sometimes violated three-day “humanitarian pause” that the warring sides agreed to last week and then extended for a further three days to bring relief to a city that has become an iconic symbol of the suffering endured by civilians in the war’s relentless bombardments and sieges.

Some 200 men, women and children were reported to have left the besieged area so far today, bringing the total evacuated under the accord to 1,350, more than half the estimated 2,500 who have suffered the years-long siege, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said. As with those who left earlier, many were frail and had difficulty walking, it added.

Under the agreement, women, children and the elderly were allowed out but not men over 15 and under 54 years of age, but 336 men in this latter category, apparently unwilling to abandon their families, were detained by Syrian authorities in a school on the outskirts where UN officials are present but do not attend interrogation sessions. So far over 150 of these have been questioned and released.

UN officials have voiced deep concern at the detentions, warning that torture and mistreatment are war crimes.

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is waiting along with partners to receive evacuees at a reception point at the edge of the Old Town. Only 200 have so far opted to go to a centre in the suburb of Al Waer which Syrian authorities have designated as a shelter should they wish, while the rest have asked to be taken to neighbourhoods where they have ties or might feel more secure.

Despite the declared “pause” sporadic mortar and sniper fire has at times interrupted the operation, which has been fraught with risk.

On Sunday, UN and Syrian Arab Red Crescent aid workers delivering food and medical aid were deliberately targeted by fire that killed 11 civilians and almost completely destroyed the car of the UN country representative while he and colleagues were in it.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Death Of Fidel Castro

New Zealand likes to think we played our part – via the 1981 Springbok tour – in bringing the apartheid regime in South Africa to an end… Jacob Zuma treated the death of Fidel Castro at the weekend as an occasion to pay a heartfelt tribute to the thousands of Cuban soldiers who travelled across the world to inflict the first significant military defeat on the forces of white supremacy. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The US Election Home Stretch

Once again at the business end of a US election, the result will hinge on the same old bits of geography as always: the Five Crucial Counties in Ohio, the Two Crucial Counties in Pennsylvania and the I-4 Interstate Corridor in Florida that runs from Tampa Bay through Orlando to Daytona Beach. More>>

ALSO:

Meanwhile:

Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>

ALSO:

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news