World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Obama drone campaign "Verges On Genocide".

President Obama's drone attacks on Middle Eastern nations are not just lawless war crimes. As the "murderous drone campaign is both widespread and systematic it thus qualifies as a crime against humanity that verges on genocide," the distinguished international legal authority Francis Boyle of the University of Illinois, Champaign, says.

In an exclusive interview, Boyle points out that "Obama's victims are Muslims" and Article II of the 1948 Genocide Convention expressly defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: (a) Killing members of the group…"

Boyle added that as the U.S. "is a contracting party to the Genocide Convention" this would make CIA Director John Brennan as guilty of genocide as Obama. Boyle added, "They are just terrorizing everyone into submission and they know it. Like the Nazis bombing London." As the Pentagon also has actively launched drones, presumably it shares culpability for genocide.

The CIA's Brennan told a group of academicians, “We only authorize a strike if we have a high degree of confidence that innocent civilians will not be injured or killed, except in the rarest of circumstances,” Charlie Savage of The New York Times reported.

Brennan acknowledged “instances when — despite the extraordinary precautions we take — civilians have been accidentally injured, or worse, killed in these strikes. It is exceedingly rare, but it has happened. When it does, it pains us and we regret it deeply, as we do any time innocents are killed in war.”

Exceedingly rare? The non-profit Bureau of Investigative Journalism, of London, reports the total killed by Obama's drone strikes is at least 2,537; that the minimum number of civilians killed is at least 416 and may be closer to 1,000, and that at least 168 children have been killed. What's more, the number of injured in the attacks is at least 1,128 and may be as high as 1,557, the BIJ says. Others say the BIJ figures are understated.

In a speech to the Easley, S.C., Rotary Club last year, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said the number of people killed by drones had climbed to 4,700.

Example: According to Craig Whitlock of The Washington Post, Amnesty International reported a July 6, 2012, drone attack in the village of Zowi Sidgi, near the city of Miran Shah, in which it said 18 civilians — including a 14-year-old boy — were killed.

In that case, The Post reported, a group of male laborers had gathered in a tent for dinner when a missile blast killed 10 of them. A few minutes later, as rescuers arrived at the scene to treat the wounded, another round of missiles killed eight more people, according to Amnesty. (Note: there have been numerous reports of drone attacks on first responders and even on funerals.)

The Miran Shah airstrike took place on September 12, 2008, in North Waziristan in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) in Pakistan, Wikipedia reports. It was part of a series of attacks targeting presumed militants, and was carried out by a United States Air Force drone aircraft. The missiles hit two buildings – in one three women and two children were killed, and in the other seven Taliban militants died.

While the CIA boss tries to make it appear the strikes are surgical in nature, the fact is that populations living under the drone flights are terrorized en masse so that many civilians are afraid to go to work, open their businesses for the day, and send their children to school. "(The CIA knows) exactly what they are doing and they just don’t care," Boyle says, adding, "Ditto for Obama."


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news