World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Central African Republic:Accountability Needed Amid Violence

Central African Republic: Amid Ongoing Violence, UN Rights Chief Urges Accountability

New York, Feb 19 2014 - Authorities in the Central African Republic (CAR) will be held personally accountable for the serious human rights violations committed in the country, Navi Pillay, the United Nations human rights chief today said, urging that every effort be made to break the cycle of violence and revenge, and to restore security and rule of law.

“I remind all leaders in key positions, whether they belong to anti-Balaka, ex-Séléka or the former army, FACA, that they have clear obligations under international law,” the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said. “They have a responsibility to refrain from committing, ordering, inciting or instigating violations of international law and to prevent subordinates from committing such violations.”

“People who commit serious human rights violations after receiving instructions, directions and orders may also have direct individual criminal responsibility for their actions and omissions,” Ms. Pillay noted, adding that some offenses may amount to ‘crimes against humanity.’

Thousands of people are estimated to have been killed in CAR, and 2.2 million, about half the population, need humanitarian aid in a conflict which erupted when mainly Muslim Séléka rebels launched attacks in December 2012. The violence has since taken on increasingly sectarian overtones.

“Although a few groups of ex-Séléka in civilian clothes continue to target Christian civilians in Bangui, most of the ongoing human rights violations are being committed by anti-Balaka elements, which appear to be growing more organized by the day,” the High Commissioner noted.

Anti-Balaka elements are deliberately targeting the Muslim population of the capital in attacks they sometimes refer to as “clean-up operations,” which are widespread and include killings, rapes, plundering and the destruction of Muslim homes.

“The level of cruelty and disregard for life and dignity is horrifying, with public mutilation of bodies, amputation of body parts and genitals, beheadings and at least one case of cannibalism, spreading further terror among the Muslim population,” Ms. Pillay said.

She also expressed concern about hate speech against Muslims broadcast on TV by anti-Balaka, and strongly condemned public statements by some members of the National Transitional Council to the Parliament instigating inter-communal violence.

The overall situation in Bangui seems “slightly calmer,” the High Commissioner’s office (OHCHR) said, there are reports of more killings and the situation outside of the capital is “evolving dangerously.”

After their retreat from the Southern and Western parts of the country, she said, ex-Séléka forces are now regrouping in their traditional stronghold in the north, notably in the regions of Vakaga, Batafango and Kaga Bandoro.

“This move is provoking a renewed cycle of violence as they employ scorched earth tactics, destroying villages, burning tools and seeds, and killing civilians on their way,” said Ms. Pillay.

Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Valerie Amos in in Bangui today but fighting in the north has reportedly limited her ability to travel around the country.

The UN last week allocated an additional $10 million from its emergency humanitarian fund to support the most critical relief operations in the country, the second such allocation in about two months from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF).

A total of $207 million in humanitarian funding to the CAR was pledged by donors at a special meeting held last month in Brussels. Around 30 per cent of the pledges have been committed or disbursed. According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the $551 million Strategic Response Plan for CAR was just 13 per cent funded as of last week.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is due to brief the Security Council tomorrow on the current situation in the country.

For more details go to UN News Centre at


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news