World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Ukraine crisis: Pillay sends urgent call for restraint

Ukraine crisis: Pillay sends urgent call for restraint after deadly clashes in Kiev

GENEVA (19 February 2014) – The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, on Wednesday called on all parties in Ukraine to exercise maximum restraint after 22 people were killed during violent clashes in Kiev between riot police and protesters on Tuesday.

“I strongly condemn the killings and urge the Government and protesters to act to defuse tensions and to take swift action to find a peaceful solution to the ongoing crisis,” Pillay said.

“I also call for an urgent and independent investigation to establish facts and responsibilities, including the possible use of excessive force, and to ensure accountability for these deadly clashes,” she said.

On 18 February the situation in Ukraine took a violent turn for the worse when protesters attempted in the morning to march on Parliament ahead of a crucial debate reinstating the 2004 Constitution, which would significantly limit the powers of the president.

Violent clashes erupted between riot police and protesters near the Parliament building. The violence continued as riot police tried to clear the protesters' camp in Independence Square. Police fired rubber bullets as well as stun and smoke grenades from trucks, and some protesters threw Molotov cocktails and bricks.

At least 22 people were killed, among them journalists, police officers and protesters. The Ministry of Health reported that 241 people had been taken to hospital.

“I reiterate my call for respect for the right to peaceful assembly, as provided under international human rights law, to be respected,” said the High Commissioner.

“Ukraine needs a dialogue between these opposing voices that respects the country’s legal obligations, political commitments based on international human rights standards, and the recommendations made by the international human rights system,” she said.

“My Office stands ready to offer its assistance on possible reforms relating to human rights,” Pillay said.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news