World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Shelter, Livelihoods Priorities in Typhoon-Hit Philippines

Shelter, Livelihoods Remain Priorities in Typhoon-Hit Philippines – Top UN Relief Official

New York, Feb 27 2014 - The United Nations and its humanitarian partners are prioritizing shelter and livelihoods projects in the typhoon-devastated parts of the Philippines, while continuing to provide the most vulnerable people with life-saving assistance and protection services.

“The Government, the United Nations and NGO [non-governmental organizations] partners must now continue to work together to do more so that the most vulnerable people are included in the recovery,” Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos told journalists in the capital, Manila, wrapping up a two-day visit to the country.

Around 100 days have passed since super Typhoon Haiyan tore across central Philippines on 8 November 2013, killing more than 6,000 people and affecting close to 14 million overall.

“Tacloban today is almost unrecognizable from the city I saw in November,” the head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said referring to the city that bore the brunt of the storm’s fury.

“The early signs of recovery were visible everywhere,” she said, noting that streets once piled high with debris are now jammed with traffic, and that small businesses are open again and children are back in school.

There are still “enormous” needs for temporary shelter and permanent homes that underlines the urgency of finding long-term and durable solutions for affected families. “Livelihood needs are also huge,” Ms. Amos said at a press conference alongside UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for the Philippines, Luiza Carvalho, and the head of the OCHA office in the country, David Carden.

A million farmers in the Eastern Visayas region were affected when more than 33 million coconut trees were damaged or destroyed by the typhoon. More than a million coconut farmers were impacted, with an estimated loss of $396 million, according to the Philippine Coconut Authority.

In addition, nearly two-thirds of fishing communities lost their productive assets, with 10,000 mainly small-scale fishing boats lost or destroyed and 20,000 damaged, said Ms. Amos.

She praised the effective response of national authorities and people accustomed to dealing with disasters, as well as the structures already in place, for making the UN response more effective.

In December, the UN launched a one-year Strategic Response Plan for nearly $800 million dollars, in support of the Government’s strategic plan, amounting to some $8.17 billion over four years to guide the recovery and reconstruction in the affected areas.

The $788 million plan aims to restore the economic and social conditions of the affected areas at the very least to pre-typhoon levels and to create a higher level of disaster resilience. It is currently 46 per cent funded.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Leaked: UK Counter-Terrorism Training Material

The PREVENT Strategy has permeated all aspects of public life in the UK. It is important that the training provided to public sector workers to implement the strategy is scrutinised for its empiricism. To this end, CAGE has released the most comprehensive leak of PREVENT training material so far. More>>

ALSO:

Weather: Aid Urgently Needed For Drought-Stricken Ethiopia

As the severity of ongoing drought in Ethiopia is exacerbated by the arid effects of ‘super El Nino’, ChildFund New Zealand is appealing to more New Zealanders to contribute to their growing aid response. More>>

'Very Concerned' After Court Ruling: UNHRC On Transfer Of 267 People From Australia To Nauru

Most of these people were reportedly brought to Australia from Nauru to receive medical treatment and are in a fragile physical and mental state. The group includes more than 12 women and at least one child who have allegedly suffered sexual assault or harassment while in Nauru. The group also includes 37 children born in Australia. More>>

ALSO:

Sanctions To Be Lifted: NZ Welcomes Implementation Of Iran Nuclear Deal

Duty Minister Nikki Kaye has welcomed the next stage in the historic nuclear deal between Iran, the Five Permanent (P5) members of the United Nations Security Council, and Germany... “New Zealand has now started the domestic process for removing the UN sanctions." More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Davos Reports: 62 People Own Same Wealth As Half The World

Runaway inequality has created a world where 62 people own as much wealth as the poorest half of the world’s population – a figure that has fallen from 388 just five years ago, according to an Oxfam report published today ahead of the annual gathering of the world’s financial and political elites in Davos.. More>>

ALSO:

Jakarta: UN Secretary-General On Attacks

The Secretary-General condemns the bombings and gun attacks in Jakarta today... there is absolutely no justification for such acts of terrorism. He hopes the perpetrators of today's attacks will be swiftly brought to justice. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news