World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Syria: Sieges of Civilian Areas Leading To Mass Casualties

Attacks, Sieges of Civilian Areas Leading To Mass Casualties, Starvation in Syria – UN Panel

New York, Mar 5 2014 - Widespread attacks and sieges on civilian areas in Syria by pro-Government forces are leading to mass casualties, malnutrition and starvation, says a United Nations-appointed human rights panel, which also cited inaction by the Security Council as an enabler for the escalating violence.

The Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, which was appointed by the UN Human Rights Council, found that fighting around Yarmouk camp and other areas in Reef Damascus must cease immediately for the supply of humanitarian assistance to reach affected civilians.

For the first time, noted a news release on the report, the Commission also identified specific non-State armed groups that have committed torture as a crime against humanity in Al-Raqqah governorate.

Both pro-Government and non-State armed groups have committed massacres, according to the report, which will be presented to the Human Rights Council on 18 March.

“The absolute impunity that pervades the conflict, now entering its fourth year, is utterly unacceptable,” says Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro, Chair of the Commission.

“The leadership of each party must be held responsible for the violations of its members, and must take action to curb these violations,” added Mr. Pinheiro, who presented the report at a news conference in Geneva today.

The conflict in Syria, which began in March 2011, has led to well over 100,000 deaths, and more than 680,000 people have been injured. More than 9.3 million people are in need of assistance inside Syria, including at least 6.5 million who are internally displaced. The conflict has also spawned a refugee crisis in which nearly 2.5 million people have are being sheltered in neighbouring countries.

The Commission’s latest report covers investigations conducted from 15 July 2013 to 20 January 2014 and is based on 563 interviews and other collected evidence.

The panel found that hospitals, medical and humanitarian personnel and cultural property were deliberately targeted, in flagrant disregard of their specially protected status under international law.

The Commission’s investigation into the alleged use of chemical weapons concluded that sarin gas had been used on multiple occasions. The perpetrator could not be determined to the Commission’s standard of proof.

Sigrid Kaag, the Special Coordinator of the Joint Mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the UN, is expected to brief the Security Council in New York today on the latest progress in eliminating Syria’s chemical weapons programme.

The Commission of Inquiry’s report also stated that the Security Council has failed to take action to end impunity for the crimes being committed in Syria. “Such inaction has provided the space for the proliferation of actors in Syria, each pursuing its own agenda and contributing to the radicalization and escalation of violence.”

The report calls on States that exert influence on the parties in Syria to ensure that these parties comply with the rules of international humanitarian law.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Iraq: Grave Crimes Committed On 'Unimaginable Scale'

Members of an ethnic Yezidi family sleep in the shade in Shekhadi village, Iraq, after fleeing Sinjar. Photo: UNHCR/N. Colt More>>

Lesotho: Concern About Reported Military Takeover In Lesotho

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday about the reported military takeover in the southern African nation of Lesotho, and called on all parties to resolve their differences peacefully. More>>

ALSO:

Ban Ki Moon:Alarmed At Israel's Announced Seizure Of West Bank Land

1 September 2014 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today voiced his alarm at the announcement by Israeli authorities to declare nearly 1,000 acres of land in Bethlehem as so-called “state land.” More>>

Ebola:Response Based On ‘Scientific Evidence, Not On Fear'

Ebola Response Must Be Based on ‘Scientific Evidence, Not on Fear,’ Urge Top UN Officials More>>


UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news