World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Darfur: Pillay urges halt to attacks targeting civilians

South Darfur: Pillay urges halt to attacks targeting civilians

GENEVA (11 March 2014) – UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay expressed deep concern on Tuesday that civilians in South Darfur, Sudan, have been bearing the brunt of recent attacks.
“There has been a disproportionate use of force by armed groups in areas in South Darfur that are not military targets. There must be an immediate halt to attacks on unarmed civilians,” she said.

According to witnesses, these groups have attacked some 45 villages in the Um Gunya area, approximately 50 km south of Nyala, the capital of South Darfur state, since the end of February. While it is difficult to ascertain the number of people killed, an estimated 50,000 civilians have been displaced amid looting and arson.

“I urge the authorities to protect civilians and hold to account those who have committed grave breaches of human rights and humanitarian laws,” said Pillay.

The High Commissioner voiced concern that peacekeepers from the United Nations/African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), as well as human rights and humanitarian agencies had been prevented from reaching areas affected by the attacks.

“The Sudanese government must allow UNAMID to fulfil its mandate to protect civilians, and grant access to populations in need,” she said.

The High Commissioner noted that the attacks were adding to the number of internally displaced people (IDPs), with many of those fleeing ending up in camps in South Darfur such as Kalma and Al Salam, near Nyala, where the number of IDPs was close to 200,000 before the recent attacks.

“Their arrival is having an overwhelming impact on the already limited water, food and health care available in the camps. The increase in displacement is a worrying trend at a time when civilians were being encouraged to return to their villages of origin,” Pillay said.

The High Commissioner called on all parties to the conflict to participate in UNAMID’s mediation initiative. She also urged all armed groups to avoid using civilian populations in many regions of Darfur as a shield for military operations.

“A military approach will not bring about the peace that the people of Darfur deserve after so many years of armed conflict,” Pillay said.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news