World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Deplores Attack against Military in Libya

Deploring Attack against Military, UN Urges Libyans to Rally around National Institutions

New York, Mar 18 2014 - The United Nations mission in Libya has strongly condemned the terrorist bombing in Benghazion Monday that targeted members of the military, and called on the country’s citizens to rally around their national institutions.

In a statement issued today, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) called on Libyans of all affiliations to denounce and reject the continued series of acts of violence and terror such as kidnappings, assassinations and bombings that have buffeted Benghazi and other parts of the country.

“The Mission urges Libyans to rally around their national institutions in confronting these crimes and calls upon officials and all forces to intensify efforts to put an end to all what puts the security of the citizens at risk and hampers the building of the State,” the statement added.

According to media reports, at least eight people were killed and more than a dozen wounded in Monday’s attack, which reportedly targeted a graduation ceremony at a military academy.

Libya, which has been undergoing a democratic transition since the toppling of the regime of former leader Muammar al-Qadhafi three years ago, has been grappling with a deteriorating security situation.

Last week the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of UNSMIL, Tarek Mitri, told the Security Council that the previous three months have witnessed a “dramatic” increase in violence across the country. This includes a campaign of targeted assassinations, bombings and abductions in Benghazi that has reached “intolerable” levels, he stated.

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Connie Lawn: Middle East Turmoil

There is always turmoil in the Mid East but at this time three major developments have broken at the same time. In Saudi Arabia 91 year old King Abdullah has died... In Yemen, the President and his top advisors have resigned. More>>

ALSO:

Russia Supports Indonesia`s Possible Move To Buy Sukhoi 35

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Russian government supports Indonesias wish to buy the multipurpose fighter jet Sukhoi 35 to enhance the countrys air force. More>>

Economy: International Monetary Fund Downgrade Global Growth Forecast

20 January 2015 – Despite a sharp decline in oil prices, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its latest economic outlook today lowered growth expectations for this year and the next for most countries due to slowdown in investment, and urged governments ... More>>

ALSO:

UN Rights Expert Cancels Visit To Palestinian Territory

Israel’s lack of cooperation leads to cancelled visit by UN rights expert to the occupied Palestinian territory More>>

Pentagon To Deploy 400 Troops To Train Syrian Rebels

Rebel fighters take positions behind sand barricades at al-Breij frontline, after what they said was an advance by them in al-Manasher and al-Majbal areas, where forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad were stationed, in Aleppo January 5, 2015. ... More>>

ALSO:

U.S. Eases Sanctions On Export Of Tech To Cuba

Washington — Today, the Department of Treasury and Department of Commerce officially released the anticipated changes to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) , reforms announced last year by President ... More>>

Increased Gold Demand Following Shock SNB Move

Gold surged in dollars, pounds and especially euros yesterday after the Swiss Natonal Bank (SNB) caused turmoil in markets. Spot gold surged $30.50 or 2.48% to $1,258.50 per ounce and gold in euro terms rose by 4 per cent from EUR 1,044 to over EUR 1,085 ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news